As we all know, as a part of the IAS exam syllabus, one must cover many things. It means understanding various acts, missions, institutions, policies, and other details. Therefore, in the article, we have covered all information related to the BIMSTEC’s full form, countries, headquarters, and members. So, read the article, get all the details, and prepare for the exam. We have been covering all information related to the different concepts that are an essential part of the IAS exam preparations. As the concept is new, it will be good to make note points and use the same for the exam.
To begin with, BIMSTEC’s full form is the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC). It is an international organization of the seven South Asian and Southeast Asian nations. Further, it has a combined gross domestic product of $3.8 trillion. Further, BIMSTEC members are Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and Thailand. Below we will understand all the important things like BIMSTEC full form, headquarters, members, and other details for the IAS exam preparations. As we all know it is one of the famous exams present in India and it is essential to know important concepts like these.
Highlights of BIMSTEC
- BIMSTEC full form – Bay of Bengal Initiative on Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation
- There are seven nations in BIMSTEC, and It came into being in 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration.
- There are five Southasian nations, namely, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka. Further, there are two Southeast Asian nations, Myanmar and Thailand.
- Initially, there were only four members, and on December 1997, Myanmar joined BIMSTEC. Therefore, BIST-EC was then called, BIMST-EC.
Further, the first meeting was held in New Delhi on the 21st of March 2017, and India hosted it. Further, the motto was to discuss the common security challenges the member countries face. Later, the essentials of maritime security were emphasized. Then, things related to the traditional and non-traditional security challenges were discussed.
Talking about the background, on 6 June 1997, a new sub-regional grouping was formed in Bangkok under BIST-EC. Later, the inclusion of Myanmar was on 22 December 1997, and the group was renamed as BIMST-EC. Then, in February 2004, Nepal and Bhutan became full members. Further, in the year 2004, in the first Summit, the grouping has renamed the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Economic developments and Technical developments.
There are 14 main sectors of BIMSTEC
|Trade & Investment|
|Transport & Communication|
|Counter-Terrorism & Transnational Crime|
|Environment & Disaster Management|
Principles of BIMTEC
|No-interference in Internal Affairs|
- In the first place it mainly aims to Technological and economical support among south Asian and South East Asian countries along the Bay of Bengal.
- Further, it covers the cooperation sectors like communication, leather, textiles, transport, human resource development, tourism, agriculture, technology and commerce etc
- Besides, cooperation to each other for the provision of training and research facilities in educational vocational and technical fields
- It aims to provide assist to increase socio-economic growth of the member countries.
BIMSTEC Countries and India
In the first place, it provides a new platform for India to interact with its neighbors with the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation. Further, it allows India to pursue three main things.
- Neighborhood First primacy to the country’s immediate periphery.
- Further, connecting India with Southeast Asia.
- Lastly, economic development of India’s northeastern states. By linking states to the Bay of Bengal region via Bangladesh and Myanmar.
- Issues between members nations. Further, Bangladesh is facing one of the worst refugee crisis of Rohingyas form Myanmar.
- Inconsistent meetings – Onlyl four times summits have planned so far in 20 years upto 2018. However, summits every two years, ministerial meetings every year.
- It was also neglected by the member states – India used BIMSTEC only when it fails to work through SAARC
Below we have added information on the projects of BIMSTEC
- Coast shipping
- Power grid interconnection
- Regional disaster monitoring and warning system
We will look into some of the recent developments below.
- To begin with, the 17th meeting of BIMSTEC happened on 1st April 2021, and it was chaired by Sri Lanka.
- Further, the meeting mainly focused on the BIMSTEC Centre for Weather and Climate, being hosted in India.
- Besides, the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s initiatives of BIMSTEC. It included BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise in Puri in February 2020 and Conference on Combating Drug Trafficking.
- Further, during the 5th BIMSTEC Summit in Sri Lanka in the coming few months was also welcomed
Now it is time to know about the IAS exam details. As we have mentioned already, as a part of the UPSC exam syllabus, BIMSTEC is one of the important topics. Further, the IAS exam is conducted in three stages: the preliminary exam, the main exam, and the interview round. One must clear all stages of the exam to get into IAS. The Preliminary exam is a kind of qualifying test, and once you clear the prelims, you are allowed to write the main exam. Then, the last round in the interview round will be tested on various interpersonal skills.
Later, get all information related to the IAS exam like the exam syllabus, books, tips, and other important details. Read More. It will help you with the exam preparations. Then, one can go for coaching classes, or one can study on your own for the exam. However, it depends from one to the another. But for this exam, working hard and the time investment is important. But for this exam, working hard and the time investment is important.
As we all understand, the difficulty level of the exam. Therefore, it becomes essential for one to follow up with some useful tips to get the best results in the exam. Therefore, let us understand some best practices for good results in the exam.
In the first place, knowing the exam syllabus and the pattern is important. One can give mock tests and solve previous year’s papers to know this. Both these methods help you to know the exam paper well. Then, know which are the best books that will help you to cover the exam syllabus. Besides, one can’t waste time reading the wrong books for the exam. One must make proper use of time and give time for all subjects. It is tough to remember everything for the exam, as we all know. Therefore, a proper revision is equally important. So, give time to revision as well. Making notes of important points is vital whenever you study any concept. You can write down all points and study the same during the exam.
Studying for the exam is important, but one must practice answer writing. This will help you know your writing speed and cover more points with fewer words. Then, one needs to visit the official site to get the latest details of the exam. Further, click here to know which are the best books for all subjects in the IAS exam. Read More.
Conclusion – BIMSTEC Countries
In summary, the above article gives complete details of the BIMSTEC countries, headquarters, background, and objectives. One needs to understand as a part of the UPSC exam. We suggest you note all important points while reading the article and study the same during the exam. In addition, one must study the previous year’s question papers to know about the paper pattern and questions. Also, one must give mock tests; it will also help you understand your skills and how one improves and prepare for the exam.
You can click here to get all the UPSC exam study materials; we have covered all the essential topics. Click Here. We have added all essential topics that are enough for the IAS exam for this concept. Besides, if you are reading this article, it is sure that you are preparing for the IAS. So, for this exam to clear, one must work hard and put in all efforts to clear it. All the best.
FAQs – BIMSTEC Members
It consists of seven Member States.
BIMSTEC headquarters in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
It was established in the year Jun 1997 in Bangkok.
Editor’s Note | BIMSTEC
Get complete information about the BIMSTEC countries, full form, members, headquarters, and other details in the above article. It is vital to know as a part of the IAS exam. Then, know objectives, background details, developments, projects, and other important details. Further, try to make notes while reading the article to study the same while preparing for the exam. You will find vital links that will help you get all information related to the exam. Further, we have also added details of the IAS exam and provided some tips. The syllabus of the paper is huge, and it requires a lot of time investment to prepare for the exam. So, know the syllabus and start your exam preparations today. It is all about having a right plan and the direction. Good Luck with your exams. Try to use tips that mentioned above for the exam.