India is the land of various traditions, and we see different kinds of festivals celebrated. Further, almost at every festival, we see people burning crackers, however, during the festivals and during weddings. Even knowing that crackers are not good for nature and health. This made to invent Green Fire Crackers. This article speaks about the eco-friendly crackers, Green Crackers’ meaning, and all the other important things. It is essential to understand the Green Crackers for the UPSC exam. Therefore, read the entire article and understand all information.
About the Article
In the first place, green crackers are environmentally friendly. Further, these crackers reduce the air pollution caused by traditional firecrackers. Besides, it is by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR). Therefore, this topic is essential for the IAS main exams. Further, get all information related to the UPSC exam. We have covered all the important points. Read More.
Why Crackers are harmful ?
When we talk about India, we remember its culture and festivals. Further, with relation to the article topics, Indian burn crackers on various occasions, especially during Diwali. The use of crackers is harmful to nature and our health.
- By burning the crackers, thick smoke is generated that can affect the respiratory tract, especially of young children. Further, the smoke that pollutes the air can affect congestion of the throat and chest.
- Besides, air and noise pollution’s that are caused by fire crackers can affect people with disorders related to the heart, respiratory and nervous system.
- Also, the harmful fumes of the crackers can cause miscarriage.
- Further, getting exposed to harmful chemicals while crackers can harm the growth in children and increase the toxic levels in their bodies.
Let us now understand all details related to the Green Crackers. Green Crackers aim to control the increasing air pollution. Besides, these crackers are available as sparklers, flowerpots, maroons, and atom bombs. It is by the National Environmental and Engineering Research Institute, a Council of Scientific and Industrial Research lab. Further, according to the CSIR’s green crackers would reduce particulate matter pollution by 30%. Also, it signed agreements with 230 companies to manufacture green crackers and make them available for sale. There are three different types of Crackers Safe Water Releaser (SWAS), Safe Thermite Cracker (STAR), and Safe Minimal Aluminium (SAFAL).
Further, the differentiation between the traditional ones and the Green Crackers is done by the Quick Response (QR) coding system has been developed. Besides, testing of the Green Crackers has been done in Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu. Further, understanding the ecological situation of India’s Green Crackers is necessary.
We all know crackers are not suitable for the environment as they cause air pollution and sound pollution. Further, the Green Crackers aims to reduce air pollution. Besides, the Supreme Court in October 2018 banned the sale, use, and manufacture of crackers that are not green crackers. It says crackers are not allowed to be loud beyond a specific limit, and they must be approved by the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO). Besides, they must be free from mercury, arsenic, and barium.
In 2019, the Supreme Court allowed bulk manufacture of the Crackers after the CSIR said its labs had made trial samples and approved them by the PESO. Further, the CSIR approached two methods. The first one is improving the traditional crackers by reducing the level of Barium Nitrate. Then, the second method aims to replace Barium Nitrate with a more benign Potassium Nitrate. Also, the court is expected to decide on “improved crackers,” which have reduced levels of barium nitrate, on 22nd October 2019.
Features of Eco Friendly Crackers
- Green Crackers emission rate is 110-125 decibels
- Further, it has a a green logo and Quick Response (QR).
- Besides, manufactures need to sign a deal with the CSIR to make fireworks using the green cracker formulation.
Composition of the Green Crackers
Let us now understand how Green Crackers are different from traditional ones. Below we have added the composition of the Green Crackers.
The Green Crackers don’t contain barium nitrate, which is one of the most hazardous elements present in any traditional crackers. Further, they help uplift the air quality and ensure that minimum dangerous material is released into the atmosphere with its fumes.
Later, the traditional crackers included fuel made of Charcoal or Thermite. It has to reduce sulfur agents, which can burn the oxygen present in the firecracker. Further, it needs a medium to which it can bind. It contains coloring agents like
- Strontium salts – Red Colour
- Burning of metals – White Colour
- Sodium salts – Yellow Colour
- Barium salts – Green Colour
- Calcium Salts – Orange Colour
- Copper Salts – Blue Colour
Types of Green Crackers
- SWAS (Safe Water Releaser)
- STAR (Safe Thermite Cracker)
- SAFAL (Safe Minimal Aluminium)
Further, below let us understand each one of them in detail.
Safe Water Releaser
- SWAS, they release water vapour in the air that will help to supress dust released
- It doesn’t contain potassium nitrate and sulfur
- Diluents for gaseous emissions
- 30% less particulate matter released
Safe Thermite Cracker
- Further, STAR doesn’t contain potassium nitrate and sulfur
- Reduced particulate matter released
- Reduced sound intensity
Safe Minimal Aluminium
- Minimal usage of aluminium
- Magnesium used in place of aluminium
- Reduced sound intensity
Advantages and Disadvantages
- They aim to reduce air pollution. According to the studies, the air quality is reducing, and winters are smog has become a menace, especially after the festival of Diwali. Therefore, the use of Green Crackers will have a positive impact on this situation.
- Further, with the use of Green Crackers, accidents may also reduce as many accidents happen due to firecrackers.
- Lastly, the raw materials of Green Crackers are less polluting. Further, these crackers reduce the release of water vapor or air as a dust suppressant.
- If there are advantages, there will be some disadvantages associated with some products. Therefore, when it comes to Green Crackers chemicals like aluminum, potassium nitrate, barium, and carbon, the quantity is so decreased that the emission is approximately 30%.
- One of the major disadvantages of the Green Crackers is that only the manufacturers who have signed a deal with CSIR will be allowed to manufacture these crackers.
- All components that are required for the manufacture of the Green Crackers are not easily available for all.
- Almost 70% of India’s crackers are manufactured in Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu. Further, there is the leading supplier of green crackers.
- Lastly, all industries that manufacture the traditional crackers may be left unemployed as no small company will be allowed to produce green crackers.
Bottom Line – Green Fire Crackers
To conclude, from the article, you will understand all information that is related to the Green Crackers’ meaning. Further, understand the Green Fire Crackers’ meaning and how they are eco-friendly crackers as we cover all concepts important for the UPSC exam. This concept is also essential for the UPSC exam preparations. One can refer to the previous year’s papers to understand the question pattern and which are the trending topics. Further, get all the other study materials here. It is essential for one to cover all the topics for the exam, so you can get the best scores in the exam. Besides, know about the exam pattern and the syllabus of the exam. It is the first thing one must do. Once you are aware of the exam syllabus and the pattern, understand which are the best books and try to study from them.
One can visit the official website for more details on the UPSC and the IAS exam. Know More. If you are reading this article, you are preparing for the IAS exam. The exam mainly needs your hard work and patience. Go through the links we have provided that will help you with the exam preparations. All the best for the exams.
FAQs – Green Fire Crackers
Green crackers include flower pots, pencils, sparklers, maroons, bombs, and chakkar
The consumers can identify the green crackers by scanning the QR code on NEERI mobile application.
The price of crackers ranges from Rs 40 to Rs 400, depending on the brand and quality.
Editor’s Note | Green Crackers
In brief, know everything related to the eco friendly crackers that are the Green Fire Crackers meaning. Further, know Green Crackers Meaning and how they are eco friendly, what all it contains. As a part of the UPSC exam, one must understand all the essential things. However, there are many topics that one must cover. Therefore, we have provided you with the essential links to help you with the exam preparations. This exam requires hard work and patience. With the right hard work, one can clear this.
It’s all depends on you. By seeing the level of competition, anyone will be nervous but understand the exam procedure. Further, know all details of the exam and start preparing for the UPSC exam. Every year many students apply for the exam, so one must work hard and put all efforts to clear the exam. Not every person wish to become IAS officer. So, if you have, work on it. Goos Luck with your exams.