One of India’s counter-terrorism special troops is the National Security Guard (NSG). The National Security Guard (NSG) for the UPSC test is covered in detail in this article. Find out what the NSG commando is and its full Form, Salary, and director-general. The NSG’s primary mission is to combat terrorism & respond to exceptional security breaches. Let’s get started now.
- What is National Security Guard?
- NSG commando Full form & salary
- Black Cat Commando or NSG Training and Selection Process
- Director General of NGS
- Conclusion- National Security Guard
- FAQ- National Security Guard
- Editor’s Note | National Security Guard
What is National Security Guard?
The Indian Ministry of Home Affairs’ National Security Guard (NSG) is a counter-terrorism squad (MHA). It was established on 22nd September 1986, under the National Security Guard Act 1986, to defend states from internal unrest and terrorist activities following Operation Blue Star and Indira Gandhi’s assassination. “Sarvatra Sarvottam Suraksha” is the NSG’s motto. As a result, it concludes the operation with the goal of “Never Give Up.” With pride, the NSG’s black commandos have carried out their missions with precision and courage wherever the NSG has deployed.
It is a task-oriented force that operates under the Ministry of Home Affairs and is made up of two complementary elements: The Special Action Group (SAG), which is made up of Army personnel and is the NSG’s main offensive or strike wing, and the Special Ranger Groups (SRG), which is made up of personnel drawn from the Central Armed Police Forces/State Police Forces. The majority of the time, they are in charge of VIP security.
The Director-General of the NSG is chosen and appointed by the Minister of Home Affairs (DG).
The NSG commando may conduct counter-terrorist operations on the land, sea, and air and bomb disposal (finding, detecting, and neutralizing IEDs), Post-Blast Investigation (PBI) & hostage rescue missions.
Why did the National Security Guard come into being?
As a Federal Contingency Force, the NSG’s core premise was to develop a focused, responsible, and nimble task force that could strike quickly on all aspects of terrorism in any section of the country. The National Security Group (NSG) is a task-oriented force made up of two complementing elements: Special Ranger Groups (SRG) and Special Action Groups (SAG).
- Men from the Central Armed Police Forces and State Police Forces make up the Special Ranger Groups (SRG), while Army personnel make up the Special Action Group (SAG).
- The National Security Guard (NSG) is on standby 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to tackle any crisis that threatens the nation’s security.
Check out this link for another crucial topic for your UPSC exam. For the UPSC exam, learn everything you need to know about the Armed Forces Special Powers Act. What is NSG, as we’ve discussed here. Why was the National Security Guard established? Let us now discuss the NSG Full Form, Salary, roles, and Director General.
NSG commando Full form & salary
|NSG||Natural Security Guard|
The MHA-Home Minister appoints the Director General (DG) of the National Security Group.
The NSG has had 28 DGs in 31 years since its inception in 1984, with an average tenure of one year and a few months. It is based on the British Special Air Service as well as Germany’s GSG 9 (Grenzschutzgruppe 9 or “Border Guard Group 9”), according to the NSG website.
SAG stands for Special Action Group. SAGs 51 & 52 are the two types of Special Action Groups.
SRG stands for “Special Rangers Group.” Special Ranger Groups (SRG) 11, 12, and 13 are the three SRGs.
Special Composite Group (SCG) is an acronym for “Special Composite Group.” There are five regional hubs.
Electronic Support Group (ECG) is a term that refers to a group of people to who Manesar’s electronic support group provides communication and technology assistance.
National Security Guard Commando Salary
A Natural Security Guard (NSG) Commando’s annual Salary is, on average, INR 10 lakhs. The total number of active employees is ten thousand. M A Ganapathy IPS, Director General of NSG, is the agency’s executive. The budget for the year is Rs 1,190 crore (US$158.0 million).
The National Security Guard’s Roles (NSG)
- Counter-terrorist operations on land, sea, and air
- Bomb defusing (search, detection, and neutralization of IEDs)
- Follow-up on the Blast (PBI)
- Hostage rescue missions, such as the one at the Taj Hotel in Mumbai on November 26th, 2001.
- VIP protection (like security to Cabinet Ministers and other eminent persons)
However, the NSG was relieved of its VIP protection responsibilities in January 2020, allowing it to focus on its primary missions as elite counter-terrorism and anti-hijacking organization. The NSG is equipped to handle counter-terrorism operations on the land, sea, and air, as well as bomb disposal (searching for, detecting, and neutralizing IEDs), PBI (Post-Blast Investigation), and hostage rescue missions.
Black Cat Commando or NSG Training and Selection Process
To become a fully qualified NSG operator, candidates will typically go through three steps, which include:
- Pre-selection is the first phase.
- Phase 2: NSG Basic Training/Selection
- NSG Advanced Training (Phase 3)
Phase 1 comprises administration and eligibility criteria primarily. The training that occurs throughout phases 2 and 3 lasts about 14 months, 3 & 9 months, respectively.
- The commandos go through a 90-day training program. To be considered for the selection, one must first pass an examination followed by a week of intensive training. According to Zee News, 80 percent of ‘jawans’ fail at this stage, with barely 20% progressing to the next. Only 15% of those who complete the last set of the tests pass.
- The most challenging round begins after the final selection. This is a ninety-day training program. Both physical and mental training is provided throughout this time. Battle Assault Obstruction Course and Counter-Terrorist Conditioning Course training are also available. It all comes to a head with a psychological test in the conclusion.
- The National Security Guard was established in 1984 to safeguard some of the country’s most important figures, including the Prime Minister.
- There is no direct recruitment process when it comes to selection. Soldiers are chosen from the Army and paramilitary forces for this purpose. The Indian Army accounts for about 53% of the selection process. Aside from that, 47 percent of commandos are drawn from the CRPF, ITBP, RAF, and BSF, which are all paramilitary forces.
Director General of NGS
M A Ganapathy (born January 1, 1964) is an Indian Police Service officer from the Uttarakhand cadre who is currently serving as the Director-General, National Security Guard, as of March 18, 2021. He previously held the positions of Director-General of the Bureau of Civil Aviation Security and Director General of the Uttarakhand Police Department. Shri M A Ganapathy earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from Madras Christian College in Chennai in 1984 and a master’s degree in international studies from Jawaharlal Nehru University in Delhi (1986). He graduated from Delhi University with a law degree (2007)
Conclusion- National Security Guard
This article will explain what the National security guard (NSG) commando is and its Full Form, Salary, and director-general. We also talked about What exactly is the National Security Guard? Why was the National Security Guard formed? Training and Selection Procedures for the Black Cat Commando or National Security Guard (NSG). We have included all of the details to assist you with your UPSC exam preparations. Here is a link to UPSC’s official website. One can wish to be the next IAS officer, but only a few will be able to pass the exam. This exam will assess your topic knowledge and your dedication to your goals.
FAQ- National Security Guard
We routinely observe ‘Black Cat Commandos’ in the security of VIPs and Army soldiers. National Security Guard (NSG) personnel are the toughest soldiers selected through the most stringent protocols. The National Security Guard is a special force of the Indian Special Forces under the Ministry of Home Affairs, which was established in 1984 during Operation Blue Star. The fundamental motivation for its creation was to combat terrorist operations in order to prevent countries from internal strife.
Major Vivek Jacob, the inventor of CLAW, was a Special Forces operator for 14 years. Following his training at the National Defense Academy and the Indian Military Academy, he volunteered for and successfully finished one of the world’s most difficult Special Forces selections.
The candidate must be at least 157 cm tall.
Of course, a girl can be an NSG Commando. Something that has never been done before. Keep in mind that even ladies must undergo the same amount of training as boys.
Editor’s Note | National Security Guard
In conclusion, obtain all facts pertaining to the What is NSG? What is the purpose of the National Security Guard? NSG Commando Full Form, Salary, Roles, General Director, and other critical information have also provided you with important links that will assist you with the exam. Then, to pass the IAS exam, one needs to comprehend the exam syllabus and the paper format. If you plan well, you will be able to achieve your goals. We wish you the best of luck in your exams.