In the United Nations’ World Happiness Index Report for 2022, India has climbed 3 places to 136th place. The United Nations released the most recent version of the index report on March 20, 2021, which was also World Happiness Day. Therefore, this article is also crucial for the UPSC. So, let’s find out what exactly the UN World Happiness Report or Index is? How is WHI calculated, the top ten countries, and so on? So let’s begin.
- What is the UN World Happiness Report or Index?
- What is the Performance of the Countries in the World Happiness Index?
- The highlight of the report
- Top 10 countries in the UN World Happiness Index Report 2022
- How is the WHI calculated?
- Significance of World Happiness Index Report
- Reason for India’s Poor Performance
- Conclusion– World Happiness Index
- FAQ– World Happiness Index
- Editor’s Note | World Happiness Index
What is the UN World Happiness Report or Index?
- The United Nations (SDSN) Sustainable Development Solutions Network has been publishing since 2012.
- The World Happiness Report found two main ideas:
- Measuring happiness or life evaluation using opinion polls,
- Identifying significant characteristics that impact wellbeing across countries, such as GDP levels, life expectancy, and freedom to make life choices.
- The survey typically evaluates 150 nations based on a variety of criteria, including real GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom to make life choices, generosity, and views of corruption.
- Also, Every year, each variable calculates a populated-weighted average score on a scale of 0 to 10. Therefore, which is then tracked over time and compared to other countries.
- Countries that were in the top ten last year moved up and down this year.
Why in the news:
In the UN World Happiness Report 2022, India ranks 136th, while Finland is named the happiest country for the 6th year in a row.
On March 18, 2022, the World Happiness Index Report 2022 was published. The report is in its tenth edition.
We provide articles on many crucial topics for UPSC and other competitive exams for all IAS UPSC aspirants. Also, You may find all of your exam-related questions and answers, as well as study materials, on this page, which are completely free.
What is the Performance of the Countries in the World Happiness Index?
Top Performers: Three Scandinavian countries got the top three spots in the World Happiness Report. Finland has been declared the world’s happiest country five times in a row, followed by Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, and the Netherlands.
Worst Performers: Afghanistan was named the unhappiest country, followed by Lebanon, Zimbabwe, Rwanda, and Botswana. Bangladesh has risen seven places on the World Happiness Index, from 101 last year to 94 in 2022, out of 146 countries covered in the survey.
India’s Performance in the world happiness index: India was placed 136 in the 2022 report, up to three spots from 139th in 2021. Therefore, many factors contribute to the country’s chronic unhappiness, including rapid urbanization and city congestion, declining incomes and unemployment, negative perceptions of corruption in the country, rising healthcare costs, women’s safety, and environmental pollution, which is linked to poor mental wellbeing.
The highlight of the report
- Finland topped the list for the 5th year in a row in the 10th edition of the World Happiness Report.
- Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, & the Netherlands followed Finland.
- Among other Western countries, the United States was ranked 16th, Britain was ranked 17th, and France was placed 20th.
- India maintained its dismal Performance in the international (world) happiness index, rising little to 136 from 139 last year.
- Only Taliban-ruled Afghanistan performs worse than India among South Asian countries.
- Therefore, Afghanistan was rated the world’s most miserable country, ranking last on a list of 146 countries.
- Nepal (84), Bangladesh (94), Pakistan(121), & Sri Lanka (127) all ranked higher on the list.
- Also, According to the Happiness Report, India’s life satisfaction has dropped by more than a full point on a scale of 0 to 10 in the last ten years.
Top 10 countries in the UN World Happiness Index Report 2022
The World Happiness Report assesses 150 countries throughout the world every year. Also, The rankings is based on a variety of characteristics, including social support, GDP per capita, healthy life expectancy, perceptions of corruption, generosity, and the ability to make life decisions. The top 10 UN World Happiness Index Reports are listed below.
How is the WHI calculated?
- The ranking is based on a three-year average of ‘Life Evaluation’ surveys conducted by Gallup World Poll, which polls roughly 1000 individuals in each country to rate their present life on a scale of 0-10.
- On this scale, 10 represents the finest conceivable life, and 0 represents the worst possible existence.
- Furthermore, six main elements contribute to explaining life evaluations: GDP per capita, social support, healthy life expectancy, freedom, generosity, and corruption.
Significance of World Happiness Index Report
- Happiness is increasingly a significant criterion for measuring the success of governments and corporate headquarters.
- The report’s goal is to uncover major factors of happiness, which should aid governments in developing policies to achieve happier societies.
- Despite rising income levels, the World Happiness Reports have verified that people in the modern world are more likely to have poor(Bad) mental health, a low subjective well-being score, and a negative impression of governance and law and order.
Why are there relationships between law, government, and happiness?
Happiness has become a popular policy aim. And this conversation has fueled a new narrative about the linkages between law, governance, and happiness.
Numerous countries’ experiences show that countries with higher GDP and per capita income are not always the happiest. A link exists between happiness and the rule of law.
WHRs have confirmed that humans have:
- Mental health difficulties throughout time.
- Also, A poor subjective well-being score.
- Despite high-income levels, there is a negative opinion of governance and law and order.
Reason for India’s Poor Performance
India’s poor Performance has several causes:
- India may have one of the world’s fastest-growing economies, but it is also one of the least happy.
- Many reasons contribute to the country’s discontent, including increased urbanization and city congestion, concerns about food security and water safety, rising healthcare expenses, women’s safety, and environmental pollution.
- Also, poor mental health.
- We also notice that people are reporting an increase in negative emotions with time.
- Low earnings and unemployment, as well as negative impressions of the country’s corruption.
- The pandemic also impacts people’s mental health, leading to anxiety and depression in many.
Conclusion– World Happiness Index
Finally, the following article will enlighten you about the World Happiness UN Index Report. It also includes the What is World Happiness Index, highlights, countries’ Performance, and other key data. Also, Happiness is widely recognized as a public policy goal. Therefore, This has intimately linked happiness and government. as a result, Several countries’ experiences confirm that countries with higher GDP and per capita income are not necessarily the happiest. In addition, there is a correlation between happiness and the rule of law. As previously said, it is one of the most crucial concepts for the IAS exam. As a result of reading the article, you should have a better grasp of the World Happiness Index. Exams and other significant announcements will be posted on the UPSC official website.
FAQ– World Happiness Index
The UN (SDSN) Sustainable Development Solutions Network publishes the World Happiness Report.
The tenth edition of the report is available. Also, The International Happiness Report has been published by the UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network since 2012. Which ranks countries on the bases of how happy their residents estimate themselves to be.
The SDSN, which was established in 2012, brings together global scientific and technological knowledge to aid in the implementation of the SDGs and the Paris Climate Agreement. It was founded under the auspices of the UN’s Secretary-General. Also, The annual Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) Index & Dashboards Global Report has been published by the SDSN and the Bertelsmann Stiftung since 2016.
It is marked every year on March 20 to emphasize the importance of happiness in people’s daily lives.
Also, The UN marked the International Day of Happiness for the first time in 2013, but In July 2012, a resolution to that effect did pass. Bhutan is the first to submit this resolution. Also, it emphasized the importance of national happiness above national wealth since the early 1970s. Adopting the Gross National Happiness (GNH) over Gross National Product (GNP) measure (GNP).
In the United Nations (UN) World Happiness Report for 2022. Also, India rose three places to 136th place out of 146 countries.
Editor’s Note | World Happiness Index
Finally, we have added all relevant information to the UN World Happiness Index Report. As part of the UPSC exam, one must understand what the World Happiness Index report is, how it is calculated, nation performance, and other details. As a result, we suggest that you develop a list of all the key points you will need to study during the exam. Also, One must make optimal use of time, so create and stick to a timetable. If you are an IAS applicant, you are probably aware of the significance of current affairs and mock tests. The previous year’s paper is also Important. As a result, administer mock tests and solve previous year’s papers. This will be beneficial to you.
Also, The key is self-motivation. Therefore, You are the only person who has the ability to make the seemingly impossible endeavor a reality, Long study hours are standard for each Civil Service candidate. As a result, make certain you have one pleasant and tidy study place. Lastly, All the best!