To begin with, we mainly focus on the IAS exam and other UPSC exams. Let’s get into the topic by concentrating on the IAS main exam. This article has added the spotlight to the UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper. In the UPSC exam, you will find three main rounds. The prelims paper is in the first round, the second round is the main paper, and the last round is the interview round. Further, one needs to understand paper patterns and the exam syllabus. Let us learn about the UPSC IAS mains 2021 question paper and answers. However, along with this one must look into the exam application form, dates, admit card, etc. Therefore, we have also covered all details below.
- UPSC Main Exam Highlights
- UPSC Main Exam Marks
- UPSC Mains Question and Answers
- IAS Main Exam Strategies
- Books for the IAS Mains
- Conclusion – UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
- FAQs – UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
- Editor's Note | UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
In the first place, we all are aware of the UPSC exam, and it is one of the popular exams present in India. Further, there are many students and working professionals applying for the exam. Without a doubt, it is one of the toughest exams, and it demands a lot of hard work and patience to clear the exam. Further, there are three rounds present in the IAS exam.
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
- Lastly, Interview Round
Further, there are objective-type questions in the prelims, and there are two papers. Then, in the main exam, you will find nine papers and questions that are descriptive type. Later, in the main exam, one must choose the optional subject. In this article, we have also listed details of the optional subjects. Further, one can go through the official website to know more about the UPSC exam. Read More.
UPSC Main Exam Highlights
- In the first place, the IAS main exam is offline and each paper carry 250 marks.
- Further, each paper id for 3 hours and 30 minutes will be given for blind students
- There are total nine papers and they are subjective in nature.
- Besides, papers are available in both Hindi and English language.
- Lastly, each paper compulsory to appear to qualify for the IAS interview round.
UPSC Main Exam Marks
|Title of the Paper
|General Studies–I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society)
|General Studies –II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)
|General Studies –III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)
|General Studies –IV (Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)
|Optional Subject – Paper 1
|Optional Subject – Paper 2
|Sub Total in the written Test
From the above table, you have understood marks details for each subject. So, the total will be 1750 marks. Further, one can choose two optional subjects. Before selecting the optional subjects, one must go through the exam syllabus. Then, one must choose according to their skills and interest.
UPSC Mains Question and Answers
As we have mentioned earlier, there are nine papers in the IAS main paper. Further, click here to get the information on the UPSC IAS mains 2021 question paper. Let us analyze each paper below. We have briefly added points, so it is important for one to understand them in detail.
GS Paper 1
This paper mainly consists of Art and Culture, Modern History, World History, Indian Society, and World and Indian Geography.
GS Paper 2
Further, GS paper two consists of Indian Polity and Constitution, Governance, International Relations, and Miscellaneous topics.
GS Paper 3
In this paper, there are topics like Agricultural Issues, Macroeconomics, Science & Tech, Environment, Disaster Management, Internal Security.
GS Paper 4
Lastly, it is the most scoring paper in the IAS exam. Further, in this paper, one must know about integrity, compassion, honesty, probity, etc.
Optional Subjects Details
Check out the following table to know about the optional subjects. Further, one can choose optional subjects according to their interests and skills.
|List of Optional Subjects in UPSC
|Political Science & International Relations
Sample Question and Answer
- State the three basic values, universal in nature, in the context of civil services and bring out their importance.
Answer – Values are vital components of organizational culture and are instrumental in understanding, guiding, and informing behavior. Adherence to high-level public service values can generate important public trust and confidence for officers.
Integrity and Honesty: Integrity is putting the obligations of public service above your own personal interests.
Objectivity, Impartiality, and Political Neutrality: Civil servants carry out their official work, including functions like procurement, recruitment, delivery of services, etc.
Commitment to Public Service: Civil servants should deliver services in a fair, effective, impartial, and courteous manner to serve the larger public interest
So, this one question example. One must prepare well and practice writing relevant points to get good marks.
IAS Main Exam Strategies
Below we have added some exam tips to help you with the exam preparations. So, try to use them while preparing for the exam.
- In the first place, one must understand the exam syllabus and the paper pattern. For this , one can refer to the previous year papers and give mock tests. There are various sites that offer mock tests. It will also assist you to know your skills better.
- Further, understanding which are the best books for all the subjects is equally essential. Therefore, know the best books and try to study from the same books for the exam.
- Besides, one must know how to manage time well, and one must provide equal time for all subjects. Further, one must also have a habit of reading newspapers daily for current affairs.
- Later, essay writing is one of the vital things. Besides, one must understand the trending topics by referring to the previous year’s question papers. Further, practice well for the same, and we have added essential details of the same in other articles.
- Answer writing practice is important to know your writing speed and to write with a limited number of words. Only studying will not help to know things, and one must also solve question papers to know question patterns and the latest topics.
- Lastly, revision is again one of the main factors in exam preparations. Before starting a new concept, one must revise old concepts.
Books for the IAS Mains
Further, below we have added details of the books that will help you with the exam preparations.
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Indian Economy by Nitin Singhania
- Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
- Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
- NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
- NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
- India after Independence by Bipan Chandra
- History of Medieval India by Satish Chandra
- Ancient India by R.S Sharma
- Indian Polity by M. Laxmikanth
- Indian Economy – Nitin Singhania
- Environment and Disaster Management – Tata McGraw Hill
- Lastly, Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
Conclusion – UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
In summary, the above article will help you get complete information on the UPSC IAS Mains 2021 Question Paper and answers. Further, we have covered all the main UPSC exam paper information. Then, the main paper of the IAS is descriptive. Therefore, one must know how to write the answer with limited and with the relevant points. We have also provided you with the essential tips and book details. However, one can’t study from all books, but one can choose concerning various contents and study from the same. Besides, to know all details related to the UPSC mains 2021 question and answer can visit the official site. Further, along with understanding the paper pattern, there are many things one must take care of.
As we have mentioned earlier, many working professionals and students apply for the exam. However, only a few will be able to clear the exam. It is not an easy thing to clear, and it demands you a lot of hard work and patience. Further, one study on their own or go for coaching classes, it depends on you. However, hard work will remain constant. All the best.
FAQs – UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
Lastly, know a few FAQs on the topic.
No, but one can expect similar questions. Therefore, one needs to refer to the previous year’s papers.
No, there are not any changes made in the UPSC 2021
Solving question papers is one of the essential things for the exam. Further, know the exam pattern and the syllabus of the paper.
Editor’s Note | UPSC Mains 2021 Question Paper
In brief, the above article will give you complete information on the IAS mains 2021 question and answer. Before applying for the exam, one must understand everything and go through the official website. Further, we have added all details like the main exam pattern, subjects, marks, and book details. Besides, for any exam, understanding the paper pattern and paper syllabus is vital. It is the vital thing one must do. Later, we have given essential links that will help you to get more information on the same. Later, if you are worried about the UPSC IAS mains 2021 question paper and answer, read the article entire article and prepare for the exam. In addition, as the exam is tough, it is natural get tensed and worry about the exam. But, plan for the exam and prepare.