The Internet has become a vital thing in our life. Further, we need it for various purposes, and it helps to get knowledge of different things. However, there are pros and cons related to everything one should be taken care of. We all have experienced covid-19; that was when the internet was essential to get the latest information. With the help of the internet, one can stay connected with family and friends. In addition, the internet has made our life. We all have heard of Cyber Crime. In the article, we have focused on the What is National Cyber Crime and Security as it is one of the essential topics for the IAS exam preparations.
As we have mentioned, every coin has two faces. Therefore, the internet will give you a lot of information, and it has become our life easy. However, it can be anything, and everything has a limit, and one should know how to use it properly. Further, cybercrime is nothing but, when we use computer devices, there are many privacy concerns and confidential information. Both governmental and non-state actors engage in cybercrime, financial theft, and other cross-border crimes. However, one cannot avoid using technology, but one can always understand the limits and make the best use of technology.
What is Cyber Crime
It can be defined as any unlawful act where a computer or communication device or computer network is used to commit or facilitate the commission of a crime. Further, with the increasing advancement of technology, we face some threats. For example, they may cause financial loss or any other damage. Therefore, it becomes essential for one to know how to use technology without causing damage to ourselves as the digital can open the door to cybercrime, learning how one can prevent cybercrime.
Types of Cyber Crime
- Criminal activity that targets computers.
- Criminal activity that uses computers.
The first type where computers are often involved is malware-like viruses. The second type consists in using computers to spread malware, illegal information, or illegal images.
There is again classification; understand them below.
- Financial Fraud Crimes – with little technical understanding, one can alter the data before entry or entering false data, or entering unauthorized instructions and further, Altering, destroying, suppressing, or stealing output, usually to conceal unauthorized transactions.
- Cyberterrorism – It is an act of terrorism committed through cyberspace or computer resources. Further, it is someone who coerces a government to advance his or her political objectives by starting a computer-based attack against computers, networks, or the data present on them.
- Cyberextortion occurs when a site or email server is threatened with repeated denial of service or other attacks by malicious hackers. More than 20 cases are filed each month to the FBI, and many go unreported to keep the victim’s name away from the public domain.
- Cybersex Trafficking is the transportation and live streaming of coerced sexual acts and rape on a webcam. Further, this gets worse when victims are abducted, threatened, or deceived and transferred to ‘cybersex dens.
- Cyberwarfare – the concept of cyberspace operations impacts and will be adopted by military warfighting commanders in the future
- Ad Fraud – These are popular among cybercriminals. Further, there are three types; Identity Fraud, Attribution Fraud, and Ad-Fraud Services.
- Online harassment – Further, content may be offensive in a non-specific way; harassment directs obscenities and derogatory comments at specific individuals.
- Email and internet fraud.
- Identity fraud (where personal details are stolen and used).
- Theft of financial or card payment data.
- Theft and sale of corporate details.
- Cyberextortion (asking for money to prevent a threatened attack).
- Ransomware attacks (a type of cyber extortion).
How to protect yourself from Cyber Crime
However, there is a solution for everything. Therefore, one can protect themselves from cybercrime by following some practices. We have added some points that will help you with the same.
- In the first place, one must keep software and operating system updated. Keeping the software up to date will benefit you with the latest security patches to protect your computer.
- Use anti-virus software and update it from time to time. An anti-virus will allow you to scan, detect and remove threats before they become a problem.
- Use strong passwords – One must use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters for the password. Or use an automatic password manager to generate strong passwords randomly to make this easier.
- Don’t share your personal details unless it’s secure – Never give out personal information over the phone or through email unless you are entirely sure the line or email is safe.
- Further, don’t open links in spam emails or untrusted websites as it is harmful.
- Be careful on the websites you visit. Therefore, avoid clicking on links with unfamiliar or spammy-looking URLs.
Laws – National Cyber Crime
The Information Technology Act (IT Act) 2000 covers different types of crimes under cyber law in India. Below are the types of cybercrimes covered under the IT Act 2000.
- Identity theft
- Trade Secrets
- Freedom of Speech
- Harassment and Stalking
Prevention – Cyber Crime and Security
Further, the Department of Homeland Security also instituted the Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation Program. The CDM Program monitors and protects government networks by tracking network risks and informing system personnel so that they can take action. Further, the Enhanced Cybersecurity Services (ECS) is to protect public and private sectors in the United States. Institutions and organizations use many cybersecurity products and technologies.
Why for the IAS Exam?
It is natural to ask why it is important for the IAS exam. The IAS exam is one of the toughest exams present in India, and the syllabus of the exam is vast. Further, to get the last year’s question papers to understand and put special efforts. For the GS papers, it is essential for one to know about the various things. One can refer to the previous year’s question papers to understand the paper pattern and syllabus. In addition, one can solve mock papers and test series to improve skills. There are many platforms that offer notes, test series, etc. One can study independently or be admitted to the coaching classes. However, it depends from one person to the other.
Get all information related to the IAS exam, and we have added details related to the IAS exam application form, pattern, fees, exam tips, salary, and other essential information. Click Here.
Further, go through the official website of the UPSC for more details on the IAS exam. Learn More.
Conclusion – What is the National Cyber Crime
This article will help you by providing all details related to the What is National Cyber Crime and cyber crime and security. Internet is one such thing, and we cannot avoid using it, even though we know there are possibilities of threats. However, with the proper information one can use internet properly. We have seen many Cyber crimes in India, and there are specific measures that the government takes up. It is vital for one to understand the limitations of the internet and how to use internet securely. We have added types of cyber crimes and security details. It will help you with the IAS exam preparation. In addition, go through the link below for more information related to the other UPSC exam study materials. We have covered the latest information about various things. Click Here, and it will help you with the IAS exam preparations.
Lastly, go through the below FAQs for more details on Cyber Crime.
It is defined as the use of a computer as an instrument to further illegal ends, such as committing fraud, intellectual property, stealing identities, or violating privacy.
Cyber law is vital as it touches almost all aspects of transactions and activities involving the internet, the World Wide Web, and cyberspace.
Some of the examples of the cyber crimes are
1. Identity fraud (where personal information is stolen and used).
2. Theft of financial or card payment data.
3. Theft and sale of corporate data.
As we all know about the IAS exam syllabus, get the complete information of the exam syllabus and the pattern. Then, later, to know about which are the best books for all subjects and prepare well for the exam.
Editor’s Note | What is Cyber Crime
Get all information related to the whats is the National Cyber Crime and cyber crime and security details. Further, read the entire article to know types of cyber crime and how one can prevent it. We have added elements of the IAS exam and provided the links that will help you with the exam. To get the best results in the exam, it is important for one to follow up some exam strategies and refer to the best books. Also go through the previous years question paper that will help you with the question pattern and other details. Good Luck.