To begin with, in this article, we will be discussing the UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist (UPSC CGS) and Geologist Exam. Further, you will get all information like UPSC geoscientist, UPSC geologist salary, UPSC geochemist, and other related details. Then, try to note important points while reading the below article. Besides, in our previous article, we have covered details of the other exams conducted by the UPSC. So, let’s begin.
- Job Profile
- Eligibility – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
- UPSC Geologist Salary Details
- Additional Benefits
- Important Dates – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
- Conclusion – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist (UPSC CGS) Exam
- FAQs – UPSC CGS Exam
- Editor’s Note | UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
In the first place, UPSC CGS is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission to recruit candidates for various In the first place, UPSC CGS is conducted by the Union Public Service Commission to recruit candidates for various positions like Geologist, Geophysicist, and Chemist Group ‘A’ in GSI. Further, Junior Hydro-geologist (Scientist ‘B’), Group ‘A’ for Central Ground Water Board.
UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam Highlights
|Name of the Exam||Combined Geo-scientist and Geologist Exam|
|Conducting authority||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Level of the Exam||National Level|
|Exam occurrence||Once in a year|
|Negative Marking||Applicable in Objective type papers|
Then, as already mentioned above, this exam has three main stages.
- Stage-I – Preliminary test (Computer Based Test – Objective Type Questions)
- Stage-II – Main test (Descriptive Type papers)
- Lastly, in Stage-III – Personality Test
Further, one needs to clear all the stages of the exam. So, once you clear the main exam, you are allowed to give an interview round.
Note – Click Here to visit the official website and get all the essential details on the exam. Further, it is essential for one to visit the site to get the latest details of the exam.
Then, let us now understand all the details related to the UPSC Geoscientist, Geochemist, and Geologists. Below we have added roles and responsibilities.
- In the first place, they supervise the work of technicians and coordinate work with other scientists, and both in the field and in the lab.
- Further, the aims to plan and conduct the field studies and they visit varipus locations to collect samples and conduct surveys.
- They are responsible for the geologic maps, charts, and scientific reports.
- Besides, Geologists work on the materials, processes, and history of the earth. Further, they investigate how rocks were formedand what has happened to them since their formation. Besides, there are sub-groups of geologists, such as stratigraphers, who study on the stratified rock. Then, mineralogists, who study the structure and composition of minerals
- Besides, to analyze aerial photographs, and detailed records of geologic formations found during drilling, rock samples. Further, other data sources to locate natural resource deposits and estimate their size.
- Then, to present findings to clients, colleagues, and other interested parties
Eligibility – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
Further, check out the below details on the eligibility to apply for the exam.
- In the first place, applicant should be an Indian Citizen
- Or Subjects of Nepal, Bhutan or Tibetan Refugees who have relocated to India before first Jan 1962 are eligible to apply for the exam.
- Further, applicants from Indian Origin from Pakistan, East Africa (Kenya, Uganda, Zambia, Malawi, Ethiopia, Tanzania, and Zaire), Sri Lanka, Burma, Vietnam or can apply for the exam.
Further, the applicant should be between 21 to 32 years. Besides, there will be relaxation provided for the various categories; check out the below points.
- OBC- 3 years
- SC/ST- 5 years
- PWD- 10 years
- Jammu & Kashmir- 5 years
- Defence Service Personnel- 5 years
- Lastly, ECOS/SSCOs- 5 years
- For the Group A geologists, applicant must have master’s degree in any one of the following subjects:
- Mineral Exploration
- Geo- Exploration
- Geological Science
- Further, for the UPSC geochemist Group A applicant must have master’s degree in any one of the following subjects from a UGC identified colleges
- M. Sc. in Applied Chemistry
- M. Sc. in Analytical Chemistry
- M. Sc. in Applied Chemistry
- Later, for Geo –Physicist Group A. Then, applicant must have a M.Sc degree from any one of the following subjects
- M. Sc. in Geophysics
- M. Sc. in Applied Geophysics
- M. Sc. in Exploration Geophysics
- M. Sc. in Physics
- M. Sc. in Applied Physics
- M. Sc. in Marine Geophysics
- M. Sc. in Exploration Geophysics
- Then, M. Sc. (Technology)
- Lastly, for the Junior Hydrogeologist Group B. The applicant must have a M.Sc degree from any one of the following subjects
- M. Sc. in Geology
- M. Sc. in Applied Geology
- M. Sc. in Marine Geology
Number of Vacancies
Further, in the below table we have added details of the number of vacancies
|Name of the post||Number of vacancies|
|Chemist (Group A)||15|
|Junior Hydrogeologists ( Group A)||03|
|Geologist ( Group A)||79|
|Geophysicist (Group A)||05|
UPSC Geologist Salary Details
So, now you have an idea of the UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam. Further, we will discuss the main part of the article, i.e., UPSC geologist salary. Then, in the below, we have added components of the salary.
- Basic Pay
- House Rent Allowance (HRA)
- Transport Allowance (TA)
- Dearness Allowance
- Daily Allowance
- Lastly, Medical Facilities and Insurance for health
Check out the more details below
- Basic pay – 56,100
- House Rent Allowance (HRA) – 6,300
- Transport Allowance (TA) – 7,344 (7,200 + 144)
- Dearness Allowance (DA) – 1,122
- Lastly, total – 70,866
Then, know about some of the deductions below.
- CGHS – 325
- CGEGIS – 120
- Pension – 5730
- Total – 6175
The overall salary that a UPSC Geologist, Geoscientist applicant receives in hand after the deduction will be Rs. 70,866 – Rs. 6,175 = Rs. 64,691
Besides, all the aspirants will receive daily allowances as per the 7th pay commission. So, according to one will receive around Rs. 900 up to 120 days.
- In the first place, for every official visit, one will be benefited with either Economy Class Air Pass or Second AC railway tickets.
- Then, for every entry level GSI officers, there will be sanctioned for Type 4 quarter (3 BHK). Later, for those who don’t take home a substantial amount as House Rent Allowance (HRA).
Further, during the probation period, one will be trained at their tasks, role, and responsibilities. Besides, during this period, one will understand work ethics, knowledge, personality, and their perspective and capabilities are tested. Lastly, only after completing the probation period will you get all the perks and benefits.
Then, along with the UPSC geologist, geochemist salary, there are additional benefits. Therefore, we have covered all the details below.
- Insurance for health
- Residence or respectable House Rent Allowance
- Subsidized bills
- Job security
- Lifetime pension and other retirement benefits
- Further, Paid leaves
Important Dates – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
Further, check out the below table. We have added some of the important dates for the UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam.
|Exam events||Important dates|
|Application Process starts||October 10, 2020|
|Last date to submit the CGGE Application form||October 27, 2020, (6 PM)|
|Withdrawal of application||November 4-11, 2020|
|UPSC Geo-Scientist Admit card Prelims||February 2, 2021, onwards|
|UPSC Geo-Scientist 2020 Preliminary Exam||February 21, 2021|
|Result Declaration||to be notified|
|Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Mains Exam||July 17, 2021 (2 Days)|
|Interview||November 9 – 12, 2021|
Further, if you are looking for the details of the IAS exam and other exams conducted by the UPSC, we have added all the essential information in our articles. So, Click Here for more information about the exam.
Conclusion – UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist (UPSC CGS) Exam
In summary, in the article, we have covered all the information related to the UPSC Combined GeoScientist (UPSC CGS) and Geologist Exam. Further, understand the UPSC geoscientist, UPSC geochemist, and UPSC geologist salary details. So, if you are interested in writing this exam, this article will give you all the information on the role, salary, and training details. Besides, for more information about the exam, one can also visit the official website. Further, to clear the exam, one needs to understand the exam syllabus and the exam pattern. Besides, understand the exam eligibility criteria then only apply for the exam.
FAQs – UPSC CGS Exam
Lastly, check out some FAQs on the topic below.
Yes, it is one most challenging exams and the minimum marks required to be recruited for the desired position. Further, one can understand the exam syllabus and pattern of the exam, prepare for the exam.
The highest salary for a Geoscientist in India is ₹1,59,812 per month. Further, there will be some benefits as well and find the complete details in the above article.
One can become Geologist if they fulfill all the exam condition like age, education, and other. So, go through the above article for more details on the same.
Geochemists study the composition, structure, processes, and other physical aspects of the Earth.
Editor’s Note | UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
In brief, in this article, you will go through all the details related to the UPSC Geochemist, Geoscientist, UPSC CGS exams. Besides, this article will help you provide all information on the exam and try to make important points while reading the article. Besides, when it comes to exams, one must take care of all the things from filling the application form, syllabus, exam dates, results, and all the other details. Then, to clear the exam, one must also follow some exam strategies to clear the exam. Further, you can visit the official website for the complete details on the exam. Finally, we wish you good luck with the exams. Besides, as the exam is tough, one may feel like giving, but try to work on dreams. Later, one must try to include some tips and tricks to clear the exam.