To begin with, if you read this article, you are probably preparing for the UPSC exam and looking for the Environment Syllabus for UPSC. Then, you are at the right place; in this article, we have discussed all the necessary details on the Environment and ecology syllabus for the UPSC exam. Try to make some important points while reading the article. Therefore, read the complete article, and get the details of the UPSC environment syllabus. So, let’s begin.
To begin with, every year, we observe so many students applying and preparing themselves for the UPSC exam. Even though it is the most challenging exam in India, many wish to become the next IAS officer. Further, it is also one of the respectful jobs in India. If you are already aware, the IAS exam has the longest syllabus. Therefore, in this article, we will provide you with all the details related to the Environment Syllabus for UPSC.
Further, talking about the UPSC exam is challenging because of the syllabus of the exam. Then, as you are already aware, it has three main stages: the preliminary exam, the main exam, and the interview round. In the prelims, it has objective-type questions; in the main exam, questions are descriptive types. Then, who clear the main exam can give an interview. Further, go through the official website to know more details on the UPSC and the IAS exam. Click Here.
Environment and Ecology syllabus for UPSC
In the first place, Environment and ecology are essential subjects of the IAS exam. Further, it is necessary for Prelims and the main exam of the UPSC exam. So, one needs to provide attention to the subject and prepare well for the exam. Below are some of the major topics in the subject.
- Environmental Ecology
- Climate Change
- Acts/Laws/Policies related to Environment
- What is Biodiversity?
- Types of Biodiversity – Genetic, Species, Ecosystem, etc.
- Importance of Biodiversity – Ecosystem Services, BioResources of Economic Importance, Social Benefits, etc.
- Reasons for Loss of Biodiversity
- In-situ & Ex-Situ
- Eco-Sensitive Areas
- Ecological Hotspots
- National Guidelines, Legislations & Other Programmes.
- International Agreements & Groupings
- Environmental Pollution & Degradation
- Types of Pollution & Pollutants
- Impact of Pollution & Degradation
- Ozone Layer Depletion and Ozone Hole
- Greenhouse Gas Effect & Global Warming
- Acid Rain
- Hazardous Waste, etc.
- Causes/Sources of Pollution & Degradation
- Prevention & Control of Pollution & Degradation
- National Environment Agencies, Legislations and Policies
- International Environment Agencies & Agreements
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- What is EIA?
- Indian Guidelines & Legislations
- EIA Process
- Need & Benefits of EIA
- Shortcomings of EIA in India
- Measures to Make EIA Effective
- Disaster Management
- Types of Disasters
- Management of Disasters
- Community Level Disaster Management
- Government Initiatives on Disaster Management
Books to refer
Referring to the best books plays a vital role in any exam. Therefore, below we have added details of the books for this to cover Environment and ecology Syllabus for UPSC.
- Environment and Ecology – Arihant
- Environmental Studies: From Crisis to Cure – R. Rajagopalan
- Science Reporter
- Down to Earth Magazine
- Economic Survey of India
- The Hindu Newspaper
Further, in our previous article, we have covered some of the best books for this subject, you can find the details here.
How to prepare for the exam?
Now let us take a look at some of the tips to cover Environment Syllabus for UPSC.
- Know the syllabus of the exam – In the first place, knowing the exam syllabus is essential. Therefore, go through the complete syllabus and the pattern of the paper.
- Make Notes – As the syllabus is huge if you make essential points while reading the article. It will help you during the exam. So, try to write notes in your own words, which you can easily understand.
- Revision – Further, one needs to revise the concepts. It can be any exam. Make sure that you revise concepts to remember all the concepts well. Besides, try to give mock tests as it will give you the feel of the final year paper and understand your skills well.
- NCERT Books -Besides, NCERT books are essential for the IAS exam, as there are easy to understand. So, to cover this syllabus, try to study from the NCERT biology textbooks. Also, try to refer to the previous year’s papers and also solve them.
- Current Affairs – It is again one of the important topics for the IAS exam. So, for this purpose, one can have a habit of reading the newspapers daily.
- Time Management – Lastly, time plays a vital role in the exam. So, make a proper timetable and give time for all the subjects, including revision. Then, one must also take care of the health, one must be fit to write the exam.
Later, for the complete details of the IAS exam, you can read more here.
Example Questions on the Environment Syllabus for UPSC
Below we have added some of the examples. It will give you an idea about the question format and the difficulty level.
- Which of the below forms ‘The Evil Quartet’ for biodiversity losses:
- Habitat loss and fragmentation
- Which of the following combinations are correct?
- 1 and 3 only
- 1 only
- 2 and 3 only
- All of the above
Answer – 4
- The Pin Valley National Park (PVNP) is located in which state?
- Jammu & Kashmir (J&K)
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh
Answer – 3
- Why in the grasslands, trees do not replace the grasses as a part of an ecological succession, it is because of
- insects and fungi
- limited sunlight and paucity of nutrients
- water limits and fire
- None of the above
Answer – 3
- A grasshopper eats grass, a rabbit eats grasshopper and a fox eats the rabbit. The position of grasshopper in the given food chain is of:
- Primary producer
- Primary consumer
- Secondary consumer
- Tetiary consumer
Answer – 2
- Which of the following have coral reefs?
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Gulf of Kutch
- Gulf of Mannar
- Which of the following combinations are correct
- 1, 2 and 3 only
- 2 and 4 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2, 3 and 4
Answer – 1
You can go through the papers and books to know more about the pattern.
Concusion – Environment Syllabus for UPSC
To conclude, in the article, you will go through the complete information on the Environment Syllabus for UPSC. It is one of the essential subjects for the IAS exam. Therefore, we have tried to add all the necessary details to help you with the exam preparations. Besides, you will find the best books to cover the complete syllabus and add some examples to give you a brief idea of the question pattern. As we all know, there are many books present for the IAS exam preparations, but one can’t study from all the books. So, one can understand the requirements and study for the exam.
Besides, as the syllabus is vast, many students prefer to take coaching classes. There are benefits if you join the coaching classes, like you will get study materials, test series, guidance, etc. But, a few study on their own, it completely depends on one person to the other. However, there are IAS officers who have cleared the exam without classes in their first attempt. Therefore, this exam will test your subject knowledge and your hard work and patience towards your goals. Therefore, one must prepare well and go in the right direction. Then, try to use the tips mentioned above. It will help you to fetch more marks in the exam. Best wishes for the exam.
FAQs – Environment Syllabus for UPSC
Lastly, we have added some FAQs for more understanding of the topic.
NCERT books are essential for the UPSC exam, and one must study from them. Further, one must also learn from the other books for more knowledge.
Yes, there is a possibility that questions may repeat from the previous year’s papers.
Yes, it is one of the essential subjects in the IAS exam. Besides, it is necessary for the prelims and the main exam.
Yes, it is hard to clear the exam. However, one can clear the exam with the right plan and hard work.
Well, it depends from one person to the other. However, it is not compulsory one also has an option to study on their own for the exam.
Editor’s Note | Environment Syllabus for UPSC
In brief, in the article, we have covered all the details related to the Environment and ecology syllabus for the UPSC exam. It becomes major for one to cover the entire syllabus to get the best results in the exam. Besides, we have also covered sources to study for the exam and some of the tips for exam preparations. To cover the longest syllabus,, it is essential to study from the best books. But, in the IAS exam, one must be focused and work hard to get the best results. many leave their jobs to prepare for the exam. It is possible to clear the exam with the right plan and direction. It is normal to get tensed, but be at peace and composed and prepare for the exam. Lastly, All the best for the exams.