Recently, the results of the UPSC 2022 got announced, and we witnessed the success of many aspirants. We all are aware of the IAS exam and its difficulty level of the exam. This particular exam requires a lot of hard work and special efforts. Further, in this article, we will be discussing the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022. If you are planning to write the IAS exam and find it difficult with the exam preparations, we will help you by providing all information. Therefore, Read the below article and understand the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022.
- About the Article
- IAS Exam
- IAS Exam Pattern
- Topics under UPSC Exam Prelims
- Books for the IAS Prelims
- IAS Exam Preparation Strategies
- Conclusion – UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
- FAQs – UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
- Editor’s Note | UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
About the Article
It can be any exam; understanding the paper pattern and the exam syllabus is essential. It goes the same for the IAS exam, this exam is long, right from the preparation to the final stage, and one must invest time and energy. Further, the article will cover all information related to the IAS exam concerning the Prelims. We will also look into the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022. The team of IASBabuji mainly focused on providing you with all details related to the IAS exam. We have covered all details right from the understanding of the exam requirements, eligibility criteria, exam syllabus, pattern, books, exam suggestions, etc. These all things will help you with IAS exam preparation. Further, this article will help you by giving details of the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022.
Before understanding the IAS exam prelims paper, let us look into the IAS exam paper pattern below. If you are already aware, there are three main stages in the IAS exam namely.
- The Prelims
- The Main Exam
- Lastly, Interview
It is vital for one to clear all three stages of the exam. Once you clear the prelims exam, you are allowed to write the main exam. Likewise, if you clear the main exam, one can give an interview round. Before applying for the IAS exam, one needs to go through the official website of the UPSC exam. Click Here. Further, there are lakhs of students and working professionals appearing for the exam. However, in the end, only a few are able to clear the exam. Then, this exam demands hard work and patience, not to forget dedication toward your dreams. WE have seen many aspirants clearing the exam with their hard work and patience.
IAS Exam Pattern
Let us now understand the IAS exam paper pattern. As mentioned, there are three rounds. In the first round, there are two papers, and in the Main exam, there are nine papers. In the prelims, questions are objective types, and in the main exam, questions are descriptive types. Then, for the main exam, you must choose the optional subject.
UPSC Prelims Paper 2022
From the below table, you will get an insight into the number of questions and marks on the paper.
|Name of the Paper||No of Questions||Marks Allotted||Time Allotted|
|Paper I: General Studies (Objective-type)||100||200||2 hours|
|Paper-II: General Studies-II (CSAT) (Objective-Type)||80||200||2 hours|
As already said, in the UPSC Prelims, there are two papers. Namely General Studies I and CSAT (General Studies Paper-II). The CSAT is qualifying in nature, and the GS paper determines your selection for UPSC Mains.
- Number of questions: 80 Objective-Type (MCQ) questions
- Negative Marking: Yes (1/3rd of the maximum marks for the question)
- Time: 2 hours
- Type of Exam: Offline exam
- Language of CSAT exam paper: English/Hindi
- CSAT qualifying marks: 66 marks (33% qualifying criteria)
Further, paper 1 of the UPSC prelims is objective type and carries 100 questions for 200 marks. Then questions are on the History, Economy, Politics, Geography, Science and Technology, Environment and Ecology. In addition, there is a negative marking of 1/3rd marks for the incorrect answer. Later, the CSAT paper is objective type, and it consists of 80 questions carrying 200 marks. It mainly checks your analytical and communication abilities, decision-making abilities, problem-solving abilities, basic numeracy, and mental ability. Even for this paper, there is a deduction of 1/3rd marks for the incorrect answer.
Key Points on the Marking Scheme
- In the first place, GS paper 1 of the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022 consists of a total of 100 questions for 200 marks. Further, each question carries two marks, and for every wrong answer, 1/3rd of the total marks allotted to that question are deducted, i.e., -0.66 marks. The duration of the paper is 2 hours.
- Then, for the CSAT paper marks provided are 200, and the duration is 2 hours.
Topics under UPSC Exam Prelims
Further, below we have mentioned topics that fall under the IAS exam prelims paper.
- Indian Polity and Governance– Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues,
- Indian and World Geography– Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Current affairs– Current events of national and international importance.
- Environmental Ecology– General issues on Environmental Ecology and Climate Change.
- Further, for the CSAT paper topics are, Interpersonal skills, including communication skills.
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
Books for the IAS Prelims
As the syllabus of the paper is vast, understanding the sources is vital. Therefore, books are an essential part of the IAS exam preparations. Further, below we have added details of the books that are important for the UPSC exam preparations. NCERT books are easy to understand, and they have covered the complete syllabus of the paper.
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
- Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth
- NCERT IX-XII (Indian Polity)
- Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong
- World Atlas (Orient Black Swan)
- Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
- Indian Economy by Nitin Singhania
- Lastly, Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain & Ohri
As we all know, it is not possible for one to study from all books. Therefore, understand which are the best books for all subjects and from you can understand better. In addition, solving the previous year’s question papers is of high importance. It will help you to know the paper pattern and the syllabus of the paper.
IAS Exam Preparation Strategies
Further, to prepare for the exam, there are mainly two methods. Either you can study on your own, or you can join coaching classes. If you join coaching classes, you will get test series, study materials, and other sources. However, if you are confident with your skills and can cover the complete syllabus on your own, you can go for the self-study option.
Exam Suggestions for UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
- As we have mentioned, it is important for one to go through the last year’s IAS exam question papers.
- Further, one must understand the exam syllabus and the pattern of the paper. Therefore, if you solve question papers, it will be helpful.
- We have given the details of the book for the prelims exam. It is good practice to know which are the best books along with the NCERT books for the IAS exam preparations.
- Revision is a must for any exam as it will help you to remember things well; therefore, while making the timetable make sure that you have provided time for the revision.
- Answer writing practice is vital, it will help you to increase your writing speed, and you will come to know how to cover essential points in a few words.
- Current Affairs play a major role in the IAS exam. Therefore, one must read newspapers daily and maintain a separate book; you can read the same during the exam. One must visit the website for the latest information related to the exam.
Conclusion – UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
To conclude, this article will provide all information related to the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022. Further, you will get all details related to the UPSC exam prelims; we have covered exam patterns, marks, books, and other essentials. You can go through our other articles if you require further information related to the UPSC exam. Learn More. Then, to clear the exam, one must work hard and put in all efforts.
FAQs – UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
Lastly, go through the below FAQs for more information on the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022.
UPSC Prelims paper consists of two papers: General Studies I and CSAT (GS Paper-II).
One must know the exam pattern and the syllabus. Further, understand which are the best books and prepare a timetable. As mentioned, revision is the essential thing in the UPSC exam.
NCERT books are compulsory for the IAS exam. However, many other books will also help you with the IAS exam preparations.
Editor’s Note | UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022
In summary, understand all information related to the UPSC Prelims Question Paper 2022. In addition, we have also added some essential tips that will help you with the IAS exam. Also we have provided you with the vital links that will give you more knowledge. However, aspirant’s hard work plays a major role in the exam. Therefore, make a proper plan and prepare well for the IAS exam. Good Luck.