In our earlier, we have covered the details of the Psychology Books for UPSC optional. In the article, you will find complete information on the best psychology optional books in Hindi and English. One must take care of their skills while selecting the optional subject. So, by the end of this article, you will be completely aware of the Psychology Books for the UPSC exam.
In the first place, as we all know, choosing the optional subject for the UPSC exam is essential as it will affect your final scores. It is a good idea to go through the syllabus and the pattern of the paper. There are many optional subjects present, and one must choose the optional that will suit your skills. So, it is better to understand the pros and cons of the subject. Further, the IAS exam has a vast syllabus and it is also one of the toughest exams. Besides, the UPSC exam has three main stages. They are prelims, the main exam, and the interview round. In prelims, there are two papers which are objective type and in the main exam there is a total of nine papers and these ate descriptive type. Later, those who clear the main exam are allowed to give an interview round.
Talking about the Psychology subject, there are two papers for the main exam and each subject consists of 250 marks, for a total of 500 marks. Further, the time given for the paper is 3 hours and there is no negative marking. Below we will look into the psychology books for UPSC in English and in Hindi.
Note – If you want to know about the IAS exam and other exams conducted by the UPSC, you can visit the official website.
Before understanding which are the psychology books for UPSC in English and Hindi. This subject is more about understanding the core concepts. Then, it has a pre-described syllabus and it has 28 chapters. Let us briefly understand the syllabus of the subject. It will give you an idea about the subject. Therefore, below we have added only an important topic.
- Methods of Psychology
- Research methods
- Development of Human Behaviour
- Sensation, Attention and Perception
- Thinking and Problem Solving
- Motivation and Emotion
- Intelligence and Aptitude
- Attitudes, Values and Interests
- Language and Communication
- Issues and Perspectives in Modern Contemporary Psychology
- Psychological Measurement of Individual Differences
- Psychological well being and Mental Disorders
- Therapeutic Approaches
- Work Psychology and Organisational Behaviour
- Application of Psychology to Educational Field
- Community Psychology
- Rehabilitation Psychology
- Application of Psychology to disadvantaged groups
- The psychological problem of social integration
- Application of Psychology in Information Technology and Mass Media
- Psychology and Economic development
- Application of Psychology to the environment and related fields
- Application of psychology in other fields
So, above are the important topics. Further, in each of the topics, you will find different concepts. It is essential to cover all the concepts to get the best results in the exam and below we have listed the Psychology Books for UPSC
Psychology Optional Books for UPSC
Further, below we have listed the book list, you can make a note of them and try to study from these books.
- Introduction to Psychology Morgan & King
- Psychology Robert A Baron
- Social Psychology Baron & Byrne
- Eysench – “Psychology-Ashrdent’s Handbook”
- Chaplin and Kraweik – Systems and theories of psychology
- Psychology XI & XII Std NCERT
Online Sources Psychology Books for UPSC
- Open course by Yale university– Taken by Dr. Paul Bloom.
- Open course by MIT university
- Psychology video series at the Crash Course Youtube Channel
Psychology Books for UPSC Exam for Specific Topics
Besides, below we have book details for the specific topics. So, it will be helpful for you if you read from the mentioned books.
- Community psychology by Pande
- Organisational behaviour by Stephen P. Robbins
- Educational psychology by Mattur
- Social psychology by Baros & Bryne
- Psychological testing by A.K. Singh
- Statistical Analysis Garette
- Development psychology by Hurlock
- Abnormal Psychology & Modern Life by James.C. Coleman
- Abnormal psychology and modern life by Cokman Vead, well being & Mental disorders, therapeutic approaches and coping mechanisms.
- Theories of Personality Hall & Lindzey
- Systems & Theories of Psychology Krawiec & Chaplin
- The Psychology of Small Groups Shaw
- Inner World Sudhir Kakar
- Lastly, Achieving Society David McClelland
So, above are the list of sources to cover the syllabus. It is not possible for one to study from all the books. Therefore, you can choose those books according to your requirements.
Essential Tips for the Exam
Now you know Psychology Books for UPSC. Further, to cover such a vast syllabus of the exam, it becomes essential for one to use some effective tips for the exam to score the maximum in the exam.
- In the first place, a study from the NCERT books will give you a basic understanding of all the subjects. Hence, if you are preparing for the UPSC exam, you must refer to the NCERT books.
- Further, one must understand the paper pattern and the syllabus. It is one of the important things. For this, you can refer to the previous year’s question papers. It will help you to understand the question pattern, marks, and trending topics. So, we suggest one to solve as many question papers as possible. Besides, it will also help you to improve your skills.
- The more you revise the concepts and make notes, these will help you draw links between topics. Further, it will help you to improve your answer writing skills.
- One needs to refer to the best books for the exam. There are many sources available, but know which are the ones. Besides, you can also watch videos. Watching videos help you with a better understanding of the concepts.
- Further, answer writing practice is essential. Only studying for the exam won’t help you. Therefore, try to write answers regularly. Giving mock tests is equally important. It will give you the feel of the final year paper.
- Lastly, try to give time for all the subjects, including time for the revision. Make the best use of available time.
To help you with the exam, we have covered all the essential details of the exam in our other articles. Know More here for more information. So, try to use the above tips for the exam.
Conclusion – Psychology Books for UPSC
To conclude, in the article, we have added the complete details of the best psychology optional books in English and in Hindi for the UPSC exam. It becomes essential for one to study from the best books to cover the syllabus and get the knowledge. Therefore, we have added book details, which will help you with the exam preparations. It is not required to study from all the books you can refer to those books which are the best with the specific topics. Besides, you can try to make some points from all the books for topics and study during the exam. We believe reading the IAS officers’ success stories will help one study for the exam. Click Here.
As the preparations for the IAS exam require a lot of time, you cannot waste your time reading the wrong books. So, for all the subjects, know the best books and try to read from those books. Besides, to clear the hard work and dedication are equally essential. This exam tests your dedication and hard work towards your goals. So, make sure that you will put in your special efforts and prepare well for the exam. There are many who leave their jobs to prepare for the exam and there are some who go back to their jobs as they failed to clear the exam. So, the choice is yours.
FAQs – Psychology Books for UPSC
Lastly, below we have added a few FAQs for more details.
Psychology subject is one of the popular subjects for the optional subject. However, before choosing this subject, it is better to go through the complete syllabus.
NCERT books will give you the basic understanding of the concepts. Further, for more information you can refer to the other textbooks.
Coaching is essential if you are having background knowledge of the subject.
It depends from one to the other. Many wish to clear the exam without classes and there are many who have cleared the exam without classes in their first attempt.
Editor’s Note | Psychology Books for UPSC
In brief, in the article, we have added all the details of the Psychology books for UPSC optional in English and Hindi. One needs to refer to the best books to cover the IAS exam syllabus. Further, in the article, we have added some tips that will help you with the exam. Books play a vital role in the UPSC exam. Later, we have given some essential points on the UPSC exam. Every year, we see many people who prepare for the exam, but in the end who clear the exam. Therefore, one must work hard work and put all their efforts into clearing the exam. Finally, good luck with your exams.