When we talk about the IAS exam, there are many things to be taken care of. In the first, it is about understanding the exam syllabus and the pattern. We all know that the IAS exam is believed to be the toughest one, and it has a vast syllabus. Therefore, it takes a lot of plan to cover the complete syllabus and study further; in the article, we have added the details of Sociology Optional Books for UPSC in Hindi. So, read the complete article and know about the best books for Sociology, optional subjects for the UPSC exam.
Let us now take a quick look at the UPSC exam details. IAS exam is conducted by the UPSC every year. Further, we see many people applying for the exam every year. However, in the end, only a few will be clearing the exam. The exam was conducted in three stages, Preliminary Exam, Main Exam, and Interview round. Then, talking about the main exam contains 9 papers that carry 250 marks for each paper. Optional subjects are divided into two papers having 250 marks each. There are many optional subjects in the exam. In the article, we will be talking about Sociology and the best books for sociology at UPSC. So, before applying for the exam, there are many things to be taken care of. Further, if you are interested to know about the IAS exam and its history, you can visit their official website.
Now let us understand the advantages of choosing Sociology as an optional subject in the IAS exam.
Benefits of taking Sociology as Optional Subject
To begin with, the Sociology subject is being the favorite of many. Further, nearly 1600 students choose this subject as their optional subject in the main exam. Besides, the success of choosing a Sociology subject is also high. But, before choosing the subject, it is a good idea to go through the subject’s syllabus, and it is advisable to thoroughly go through the past 5 years’ question papers. Further, the syllabus for the subject consists of 10 chapters in each of the two papers. Let us take a look at the core concepts of the subjects.
- Sociology as a discipline.
- Important currents in sociological thought.
- Social institutions.
- Social Realities.
- Lastly, Social change.
- In the first place, it is the scoring subject and it is the non-technical subject, this is the main reason many go for this subject.
- It has a short syllabus, so it will be easy for one to cover the syllabus.
- Then, students from any background can study it easily. Besides, it is important for one to know their skill before choosing the optional subjects.
Books for Sociology optional UPSC
Further, we will look into book lists for the exam preparations. In the first place, we have added the book lists for Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Sociology Themes and Perspectives by Michael Haralambos, Martin Holborn
- Sociological Theory by George Ritzer
- Political Theory by O P Gauba
- Sociological Thought by Francis Abraham and John Henry Morgan
- Social Change in India by M N Srinivas
- Rural Sociology by Doshi and Jain
- Handbook of Indian Sociology by Veena Das
- Modernization of Indian Tradition by Yogendra Singh
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism by A R Desai
Now take a look at the Sociology books for UPSC in Hindi
- Samajshastra: Civil Seva Mukhya Pariksha Ke Liye by S S Pandey
- Samajik Samasyayein by Ram Ahuja
- Samajshastra – Prashanotar Roop Mein (IAS Mains Q&A Solved Papers)
- Rajniti Siddhant Ki Rooprekha by O P Gauba
- Samajshastra: Samaj Ki Smajh by Yogesh Atal
Sociology optional Books for UPSC
Below is the list of books suggested by the toppers.
- Sociology Optional By Mahapatra Sir and Sociological Theory – George Ritzer
- Sociology Test series Praveen Kishore sir and Horton and Hunt
- Oxford Dictionary Of Sociology
- Sociological Thought – Francis Abraham and John Henry Morgan
- Political Theory – O P Gauba
- SOCIOLOGY Harlambos Blue Book
- Social Change in India – M N Srinivas
- Caste Its Twentieth Century Avatar – M N Srinivas
- Handbook of Indian Sociology – Veena Das
- Indian Society and Culture – Nadeem Hasnain
- Modernization of Indian Tradition – Yogendra Singh
- Social Background of Indian Nationalism – A R Desai
- Persistence and Change in Tribal India – M.V. Rao
- Rural Sociology – Doshi and Jain
Books for Sociology on India
- Ram Ahuja: Society in India
- Ram Ahuja: Social problems in India
- IGNOU notes (especially for thinkers and topic on Indian system)
- Caste its 20th Century Avatar – M.N. Srinivas
- Participation as freedom – Amartya Sen and Jean Dreze
- Yojana (Independence day special 2001 on population)
- Y. Singh – Social Change in India
- Y. Singh – Modernisation of Indian Tradition
- Y. Singh – Social tradition in India
- L.P. Vidhyarthi – Tribal India
- Social structure – M.N. Srinivas
- IGNOU Material
- NCERT texts books on sociology
- Sociology – T.B. Bottomore, Haralambos & Holborn and Harry M. Johnson
- Sociology: An introduction and analysis – Maclver and Page
- Social anthropology – Madan and Majumdar
- Social Thought – Abraham and Morgan
- Sociology Dictionary – William P. Scott
- Introductory sociology: T.B. Bottmore
- Harlambus – Introduction to Sociology
- Political System – Smelser
- Cultural Anthropology -Madan and Majumdar
- Chapters from a good book on Demography and Urban geography
Click on the below link for the complete book details. We have added a book list for paper 1 and paper 2
Tips for preparation on the Sociology Subject
- As we have mentioned earlier, understanding of the syllabus plays a major role in the exam. So, go through the complete Sociology syllabus.
- Besides, referring to the best books. To cover the complete syllabus it is important for one to read the best books. Therefore, to help you we have mentioned some of the best books fro the exam preparations.
- Not only studying for the exam is important. It is also inportant to practice answer writing as well. It is essential to undersatand how to write the answers that will cover all the points as there will be word limit.
- Then, paper 2 deals with India. So, it will maily contain all the recent activities. Therefore, it is essential for one to read the newspapers and know about the latest news.
- Lastly, it is important for you to revise and give mock tests. It will help ypu to remember things and also you will understand your skills better.
Conclusion – Sociology Books for UPSC in Hindi
To conclude, in the article, you will get complete details of the Sociology Books for UPSC. To get the best results in the exam, one needs to refer to the best books. Further, for the exams like IAS, it is highly essential to read the best books. So, to help you with the same, we have listed all the books list for the exam preparations. Try to study from those books to get a good score in the exam. The IAS exam is not easy; it needs special efforts and hard work to clear the exam. So, you need to refer to the best books. It has many advantages as well. Then, many sources are available on the internet, and you can easily buy books online as well.
Note – When it comes to exams, there are many things to be taken care of like syllabus, books, patterns, and other related information. Therefore, to reduce your work, we have added all the details of the exam. It will help you with your exam studies. Click here for more details on the exam. To clear the IAS exam, you have to be a hard worker and patient. It is said that it will not only check your knowledge but your dedication and hard work. We believe it’s true. We have listed all the best possible books for the exam. But, we know that it is not possible to refer all of them. So, make a wise according to your knowledge and interest. All the best
Lastly, look at the FAQs for more details
It is also one of the scoring subjects for the UPSC exam. But, choosing optional subjects for the UPSC exam depends on the students. Therefore, one should choose that subject in which they are interested and can cover the complete syllabus.
There are many books. You can go through the above article for more details.
The most scoring optional subject is Geography. But, it again depends on your interest and the hard work.
Editor’s Note | Sociology Books for UPSC
In brief, in the above article, you will find the complete information of the Sociology Books for UPSC in Hindi. All students need to refer to the best books for the exam to get the best results in the exam. Therefore, we have listed all the books for the Sociology subject in the article. Further, we know that the IAS exam has a vast syllabus. Therefore, one needs to cover the complete syllabus and revise. We have also added some tips for the exam preparations. Before choosing an optional subject, one must go through the syllabus and decide. There are many optional subjects available, but one must choose according to their skill and interest. Try to read the best books that are available and work hard to clear the exam. Try to use tips which are mentioned above.