In our earlier articles, we have covered the book details of the IAS subjects. In some of the articles, you will also find information on the syllabus of all the subjects. This article lets us focus on the World History Book for UPSC. The IAS exam is one of the hardest and has the longest syllabus. If you are reading this article, you are probably preparing for the IAS exam. Further, there are many things looked after in the exam, from applying for the exam, preparing and results. Therefore, we have tried gathering details of the best world history books for UPSC and contemporary world history. If you are an IAS aspirant, this article will help you with the necessary information.
UPSC Exam Highlights
Below we have added some of the important factors of the IAS exam
- In the first place, the IAS exam is conducted by the UPSC every year. We see a lot of students applying for the exam.
- Further, talking about the exam procedure, there are total 3 stages in the exam. First stage is preliminary, second is the main exam and the last round is interview round. It is important for one to clear all the stages of the exam.
- In the prelims there are two papers and in the main exam there are nine papers. Questions in the prelims are objective type and questions in the main exam are descriptive type.
- If you are already aware that the syllabus of the IAS exam is vast, one must make sure that they will cover all the topics under each subject of the IAS exam.
- One must take care of all the things related to the exam like exam date, application form, admit card, results, etc. So, for this purpose check the official website, regulary.
- Besides, you have a option of taking coaching or studying on your own.
As we have mentioned already, you can go for the coaching classes. Joining classes will help you in different ways. For example, if you join IAS coaching classes, you can easily cover the syllabus and get study materials. Further, there will be a mock test, doubt clearing sessions, and another session to help you with the exam preparation. But, looking into the current situation, you can join the online classes. It will save you time and money. But, it depends on the person.
World History Syllabus
Before understanding the World History Book for UPSC, below, we have added some of the important syllabi of the subject.
Syllabus -World History Book for UPSC
- Industrial revolution
- World wars
- Redraw of national boundaries
- Political philosophies such as capitalism, socialism, communism, etc. – their forms and consequences on society.
Books – Contemporary World History
- NCERT Books for History (History: NCERT Class XI – Themes In World History is the recommended World History NCERT for UPSC)
- Mastering Modern World History – Norman Lowe
- History of Modern World – BV Rao
- History of Modern World – Jain and Mathur
We all know that NCERT books are famous for the IAS exam preparations as they cover basic guidelines for aspirants to understand the subject. One can easily understand with depts content. Further, the price of the books is low, and you can also find the soft copy.
History of the World – Arjun Dev and Indira Arjun Dev is one of the top books. This book covers the information on the black movement in the US. Also, information of the American civil rights moments, the cold war, the formation of the unipolar world, the anti-imperialist movement in Asia and Africa, formation of the UN.
Mastering Modern World History by Norman Lowe – Further, this book covers some of the important topics like Decolonization and forward movements in Africa, Fascism, and Communism, Surveys of international relations among countries, Emergence of superpowers of the world like the USA, China, and Russia, Holocaust, etc.
Books details for UPSC mains
Below we have added some information about the UPSC main book, and it will help you with the exam preparations.
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations written by M. Laxmikanth (Polity)
- Oxford School Atlas by Oxford Publishers (Geography)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania (Culture)
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by GohCheng Leong (Geography)
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh (Economy)
- The Wonder That Was India A.L. Bhasham
- Economic Survey by the Ministry of Finance (Economy)
- India’s Struggle For Independence Bipan Chandra
- A Brief History of Modern India – Rajiv Ahir (Modern India)
- General Studies Paper 2 Manual by MHE (CSAT)
- ARC Report on Disaster Management
- The Hindu
- Other important websites/applications
How to prepare for the World History?
You have got the details of the world history syllabus and book details. Now let us understand how you can prepare for it below.
- Now you have understood the complete syllabus, you can say that most of the questions are asked outside the syllabus. So, it becomes essential for one to know topics in depth.
- We have mentioned in our other articles, referring to the previous year’s question will help you significantly. It will help you to understand the question format and marks distribution.
- Further, understand the complete syllabus and the pattern, and know in which topics you need efforts. Then, make a proper time table and give time for all the subjects.
- Refer to the best books for the exam preparation. As we all know for the IAS exam time is essential, so don’t waste your time by reading random books. Make sure that you are studying from the best books and that will give you subject knowledge clearly.
- If you want to feel the final year paper, try giving the mock tests it will help you in a greater way. As mock tests will help you to understand your skills and areas of improvement. So, we suggest you to give mock tests regularly.
- Give some time for revision as well, as it will help you to remember things well. When you complete certain portion of the subject, revise it before studying the new topic.
- To crack the IAS exam, current affiars are equally important. Along with the other subjects, one must study current affairs, so read newspapers daily. Know which are the latest topics. You can also refer to the previous year papers. You will understand which are the latest topics under the current affairs.
Conclusion – World History Book for UPSC
In summary, this article finds the details of contemporary world history and other related information. Which book you refer to the exam preparations plays a major role in any exam. As the syllabus of the UPSC is vast and requires special efforts, one must study from the best books that will help aspirants get good knowledge. Therefore, to help you with the same, we have gathered all the information from the best world history books for the UPSC exam. Sometimes, it is impossible to read from all the books to know your requirements and refer to those with your topics of concern.
For the IAS exam, a proper exam strategy is essential. So, one must also prepare their own exam strategy and follow it to get the best results. As we have mentioned clearing the IAS exam is not an easy task, one must give all their efforts and hard work for the exam. This exam will also check your patience and dedication towards your goals, along with your knowledge. Further, you can find all details of the IAS exam in our other articles. You will get information like exam books, syllabus, patterns, tips, other essential exam details. Know More.
FAQs – World History Book for UPSC
Lastly, look into some FAQs below for information on contemporary world history books.
Many books are available for exam preparations. On must study from the NCERT books, it is easy to understand and depth explanation.
Yes, it is important for both the prelims and the main exam.
Yes, you can crack the UPSC without the coaching classes. But, for this purpose, one must hard work. Know the exam syllabus and the pattern, prepare the timetable and give time for all the subjects.
Editor’s Note | World History Book for UPSC
In brief, in the above article, you will find all the information on contemporary world history for the UPSC exam. It is important to study from good books to get the best knowledge for the exam. The IAS exam needs a high level of commitment and dedication. If you are an IAS aspirant, one must first understand the exam syllabus and the pattern. We have also added some important links that will help you with the exam preparations. Further, one must study from the best books, and it is equally important. Besides, this article will help you get world history and some books for the IAS main exam. It is possible to achieve your goals with all hard work and special efforts.