To begin with, we all know how important it is to refer to the best books for the exam. To get the best knowledge for the exam, studying from the best books is essential. Further, when it comes to the IAS exam, it is essential to study from the best books as we are already aware of the IAS exam. It is the toughest and has the longest syllabus. In this article, we have added information on the must-read Books for UPSC Beginners. So, if you are an IAS aspirant know which are the best books for IAS preparation, you will get the details of the UPSC books combo.
Now we will explain to you in detail the format of the IAS exam. Talking about the IAS exam, it is the exam conducted by the UPSC. Every year many students apply for the exam, and only a few can clear the exam. Further, the IAS officer job is the most respected in India. In the IAS exam, there are three stages. The Preliminary exam, the main exam, and the Interview round. Then, one needs to clear all the stages to shortlist. Then, there are two papers in the prelims, and in the main exam, there are nine papers. Further, questions in the prelims are objective type, and in the main exam, they are descriptive type. So, in the article, we have mentioned must-read books for UPSC books combo details.
Understanding the exam syllabus and the pattern plays a major role. Further, as we know, it is one of the toughest exams in India, and it requires special efforts and commitment for the exam. It is not a cup of tea, and one must be dedicated towards their goals. Then, it is a good idea to refer to the previous year’s question papers, and it will give you a clear idea about the question format and the marks distribution. So, it is suggested for one to solve 10 -15 papers for a better understanding. Further, one can give mock tests. It will give you the feel of the final paper. Also, one must revise. Besides, to reduce your work, we have added all the essential information for the IAS exam. You will find the exam syllabus, exam pattern, books, tips, and other information. Click Here.
Books for UPSC Beginners
Now let us understand the book details for the IAS exam prelims and the main exams. In the first place, we will understand books for the prelims exam.
Below is the list of books for the prelims paper GS I
- NCERTs of History, Geography & Polity Class 8th-12th
- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipan Chandra
- Certificate of Physical Geography by GC Leong
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Current Affairs – The Hindu, Yojna Magazine, Kurukshetra Magazine
- Oxford World Atlas
- International Relations NCERT XI and XII
- Indian Culture- Spectrum
- NIOS Course Materials
Further, look at the details of the paper II CSAT.
- Tata McGraw Hill CSAT Manual
- CSAT II – Arihant
- Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning – R S Aggarwal
- Quicker Maths by M.Tyra
- English Grammar & Composition Wren & Martin
Note – If you are interested to know more about the IAS exam and its history, you can read from the official website.
After understanding the details of the Books for UPSC Beginners for prelims, below, we have added books for the IAS main exam. If you are already aware, there will be 4 GS papers, 2 language papers, 1 essay, and 2 optional papers in the IAS main exam. Further, below we have added information on the must-read books for UPSC for the papers mentioned above.
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
- India after Independence by Bipan Chandra
- Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum
- NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
- NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
- History of Medieval India by Satish Chandra
- Ancient India by R.S Sharma
- Ancient and Medieval India – Poonam Dalal Dahiya
- Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- A Brief History of Modern India – Rajiv Ahir
- World History by Norman Lowe
- ‘Concise History of Modern India’ – Sujata Menon
- Lastly, IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 1 – Arihant
- Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong
- NCERT VI – X (Old Syllabus)
- NCERT XI, XII (New Syllabus)
- World Atlas
- World Geography by Majid Husain
- Fundamentals of Physical Geography NCERT Class 11
- Fundamentals of Human Geography (NCERT)
- Certificate Physical And Human Geography
GS II – Books for UPSC Beginners
- Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth
- India’s Foreign Policy by Rajiv Sikri
- Important Acts that Transformed India – Alex Andrews George
- IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 2 – Arihant
General Studies 3 – Economics
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Indian Economy – by Nitin Singhania
- and Indian Economy Key Concepts – by Sankarganesh Karuppiah
- India People and Economy (NCERT)
- IAS Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 3 – by Arihant
General Studies 3 – Environment & Ecology
- Recent Events on Climate change through Newspapers
- NIOS Study Materials
- Environment – By Shankar IAS
Science & Technology
- Notes by Shankar IAS
- Daily Newspapers
- ISRO website
- Science and Technology – Ravi P. Agrahari
General Studies 4 – Ethics.
- Ethics, Integrity, Aptitude for Civil Services Main Exam written by Subba Rao and P.N. Roy Chaudhary
- Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity & Aptitude for IAS exam General Studies written by Niraj Kumar
- Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude – M. Karthikeyan
- IAS exam Mains General Studies Manual General Studies Paper 4 written by Arihant
So, above, we have mentioned the UPSC books combo and books to read for UPSC for beginners. Choose accordingly.
Now you know about the Books for UPSC Beginners, know some tips below.
- In the first place, understand the exam syllabus and the exam pattern.
- Further, refer to the previous year’s question paper.
- Besides, give mock test, it will give you the feel of the final year paper. It will also help to understand your skills.
- Do revise, it will not be help if you just study without revision. So, revise to remember things.
- Further, Read newspapers dailt to know the current affiars.
- Then, one must also practice answer writing aling with studying for the exam.
Conclusion – Books for UPSC Beginners
In summary, in the above article, you will get the complete information of the best books for IAS preparation and the UPSC books combo. One needs to study from the best books to get the best results in the exam. Further, to cover the entire exam syllabus, one needs to refer best books for each subject. However, we understand one can’t study from all books, so you can make points or understand which books to read for UPSC / IAS preparations that fulfill your requirements.
However, you have one more option of going for the coaching classes to help you with the exam preparations. If you join classes, you will also get study materials for the complete syllabus. Further, there will be mock tests, tests, doubt clearing sessions. But, then, one doesn’t need to attend classes; it’s a complete aspirant’s choice. Moreover, we have seen examples of the IAS officers who have cleared the exam without taking classes. Hence, it means one must work hard to achieve the goal of becoming an IAS officer. It is normal to get panic, but be calm and start with the exam preparations. YOu can work hard, we know results are not in our hands, but one can give their hundred percent efforts for the exam.
FAQs – UPSC books combo
Lastly, go through some FAQs for a better understanding of Books for UPSC Beginners.
Not really; NCERT books will help you get the basic knowledge. Further, for the exam purpose, one needs to read from the other books. Therefore, in the above article, we have added the essential details.
1. Indian polity by Laxmikanth 5TH Edition
2. Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
3. Geography of India by Majid Husain
4. Certificate Physical and Human Geography
5. A brief history of modern India – spectrum
6. General Studies Based on NCERT Syllabus
You can prepare for the exam at home as well. In the first place, understand the exam syllabus and exam pattern. Further, make a proper timetable and give time for all the subjects. Then, to clear the UPSC exam, one must work hard and put in a special effort.
Editor’s Note | Books for UPSC Beginners
In summary, we have added information on the best books for IAS preparation in the above article. Books are important for the IAS exam preparations. As the syllabus of the UPSC is vast, it becomes vital for one to study from the best books. So, to help you with the sam we have added some important books for the IAS prelims and the main exam. The journey of becoming an IAS officer is not easy, but one can achieve their goals in the right direction. This exam will not only check your knowledge on the subject, but it will check your dedication towards your goals. So, to make your dream count start preparing for the exam today. Finally, all the best for the exam.