2021 has officially started. So, it is time for a fresh start towards our career goals. Some of you already made UPSC 2021 as your eagle’s eye. Also, we all know that good preparation needs proper books. Therefore what you need to know most is the best books for UPSC. In this article, you can find IAS preparation books along with UPSC books PDF. UPSC preparation books are also listed here. So, without further delay, let’s just get started.
- UPSC Exam 2021
- Exam Structure, Eligibility Criteria, and Other Info for UPSC 2021
- Subjects for UPSC 2021
- Best Books for UPSC 2021
- UPSC Preparation Books for Prelims and Mains
- Importance of Choosing the Best Books for UPSC and IAS
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Editor's Note | Best Books for UPSC
UPSC Exam 2021
Although the recent pandemic affected every sector greatly, it is not the same for UPSC. Therefore, in this New Year, it seems like UPSC 2021 is going to happen as usual. The application procedure will start from February 2021 along with the IAS exam. So, far UPSC already announced the dates for the Prelims and Mains exam. They scheduled the Prelims exam on 29th June while the Mains exam on 17-22nd September. Aspirants will get an official notification related to the exam by 10th February.
As for the syllabus, we know that UPSC releases it every year. But till 2013, they didn’t change it much. So, candidates can look for the best books UPSC in further this article. You can find IAS preparation books here also including UPSC books PDF.
Exam Structure, Eligibility Criteria, and Other Info for UPSC 2021
By now, all candidates know the exam structure. Nonetheless, it is an all India exam and divided into three parts. They are Prelims, Mains, and Interview round. Prelims have two papers- GS 1 and CSAT. Students need to qualify in this round to appear in Mains. On the other hand, Mains have nine papers including two optional papers. Thereafter clearing Mains, students will face the final round which is the Interview round.
However, age criteria vary for people of different caste and service persons. Meanwhile, education criteria have some points. Like, aspirants must have a graduation degree from an affiliated university. For detailed info, you can check UPSC’s official website also. If you meet those criteria already, start preparing for next. Hence, UPSC & IAS preparation books will help you in that matter.
Subjects for UPSC 2021
As I said before, in this article, you will find the best IAS books and UPSC books PDF in one place. Therefore, have look at the best books for preparation. Students have to read those following subjects for Prelims.
- General Science
- Indian Polity and Society
- Indian Economy
- Current Affairs
However, you can see there are some subjects in Mains that are the same as Prelims. So, if you prepare thoughtfully, you can save some time. Also, try to choose optional subjects carefully. It carries good importance in the exam. Now have a look at what IAS and UPSC books PDFs are important.
Best Books for UPSC 2021
NCERTs are always been a must-read in the list of IAS preparation books. Check further to know.
- Indian Culture & Art Books: An Introduction to Indian Art, Living Craft Traditions of India (Chapters 9 and 10) – Class XI.
- Geography: The Earth Our Habitat – Class VI; Our Environment – Class VII; Resource & Development – Class VIII; Contemporary India I & II – Class IX and Class X; Fundamentals of Physical Geography and India – Physical Environment – Class XI; Fundamentals of Human Geography, India – People & Economy – Class XII.
- History: Our Past and I – Class VI & VII; Our Past II and III – Class VIII; India and the Contemporary World I and II – Class IX; Themes In World History – Class X; Themes In World History I, II & III – Class XII. You can also check out old NCERTs like the following.
- India’s Ancient Past by RS Sharma
- A History of Medieval India by Satish Chandra
- History of the World part 1 & 2 by Arjun Dev
- History of Modern India by Bipan Chandra.
- Indian Society: Social Science: Social & Political Life I, II, and III – Class VI, VII, and VIIII; Sociology: Understanding Society – Class XI; Social Change and Development in India – Class XII; Indian Society – Class XII.
- Polity: Political Science: Democratic Politics Part I and II – Class IX & X; Political Science: Political Theory and Indian Constitution at Work – Class XI; Political Science I: Contemporary World Politics and Political Science II – Class XII.
- Economy Books: From Class IX to XII.
Also, Check Out: UPSC NCERT Books 2020 – Complete List with Download Option
Important Current Affairs
Well, now when you’ve got NCERTs, let’s have a UPSC books PDF that is crucial for the upcoming exam. Though you can buy the following magazines rather than PDFs. However, we have listed monthly, weekly and daily magazines for your help. Also, don’t forget to follow newspapers regularly. Because they are great as a source of current affairs.
- Yojana Magazine
- Kurukshetra Magazine
- Economic and Political Weekly
- Pratiyogita Darpan
- Comprehensive News Analysis
- Best of PIB
- UPSC Monthly Magazine
- Static GK
- Economy This Week
- Finance Commission Report
- Weekly Current Affairs Webinar
UPSC Preparation Books for Prelims and Mains
Some other books are crucial as IAS preparation books. And that is apart from NCERTs and current affairs. Check that out further in this article the best books for UPSC.
IAS books for Prelims
- Facts of Indian Culture – Spectrum
- World Atlas
- Certificate Physical Geography – G C Leong
- Indian Polity – M Laxmikanth
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh
- Economic Development & Policies in India – Jain and Ohri
- Tata McGrew Hill CSAT Manual
- CSAT II by Arihant
- Verbal & Non-verbal Reasoning written by RS Agarwal
Important IAS Books for Mains
- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
- India after Independence – Bipan Chandra
- Geography of India – Majid Hussain
- India’s Foreign Policy – Rajiv Sikri
- Introduction to the Constitution of India written by DD Basu
- Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude for Civil Services Main Examination – PN Roy Chaudhury and Subba Rao
However, books like World Atlas and Indian Polity are same for both Prelims and Mains.
Books for Optional Subjects
Also, remember that optional papers have a great deal in the UPSC exam. It has 500 marks in total. Therefore, students need to know about the Best books for UPSC optional papers too. So, we’ve tried to give a little glimpse so that you can understand.
- History of India – Romila Thapar
- The Mughal Empire – JF Richards
- Agricultural Geography – Majid Hussain
- Economic and Social Geography – R. Knowles & J. Wareing
- Dictionary of Economy – Graham Bannock
- The Economic Times
- The Routledge History of Literature (English)
- Poets and Writers like Shakespeare, Wordsworth, T.S. Eliot, etc.
- Oxford Dictionary of Sociology, etc.
Those are few recommendations from vast optional subjects. But, nevertheless you got the idea.
you can also go through: Best History Books for UPSC – Ancient & Modern (IAS Exam)
Importance of Choosing the Best Books for UPSC and IAS
As you know, there are a lot of study materials available for UPSC. So it becomes really confusing about what to choose. If you choose the wrong books or PDFs that will be bothersome. In fact, it will also become time-consuming. Since time is one of the most precious factors for UPSC preparation. Try not to read below-the-standard books. Because it may contain incorrect info. And you obviously won’t want to spend time over those.
On the other hand, some books are written excellently. Try to read only those and updated ones. It will help you save both your energy and time while preparation. Also, here we’ve got the best books for UPSC. These UPSC preparation books, PDFs will help you to get through the exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
Well, prepare it like other exams with a whole lot of patience, determination, and hard work. Since it is the toughest exam in India. So, prepare it likewise. There is nothing to be afraid of if you are prepared.
Of course, they are important. They always will be. It is a matter-of-fact that NCERTs is a must-read for UPSC. That’s why we’ve also included them in the list of UPSC preparation books.
You have to know what’s happening around you currently. Unless how can you hold a position like IAS? Therefore current affairs are included in the list of IAS books. You can also find them as UPSC books PDF.
Well, History, Geography, Sociology, etc. is the most famous ones among the candidates. So we can call them best optional subject. Right?
Although there was such a proposal for removing optional subjects from UPSC 2021. But that didn’t happen. So, yes, optional subjects will still be in UPSC 2021.
Editor’s Note | Best Books for UPSC
Lastly, you have got the best book list including UPSC books PDF. Thereafter, start preparing for UPSC 2021 with a New Year spirit. However, if possible make it your resolution for New Year to crack UPSC 2021 in one go. So that you can be more determined. Finally, best of luck for the exam with the best books for the UPSC list.