Every exam always needs proper books for better preparation. So does the UPSC. Obviously, the toughest exam of India needs the best books for preparation. That’s why in this article we are going to tell you about the best Ethics books for UPSC. These are the best books on Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude for UPSC. Thus you can have a general idea about what book you need to read next.
- Syllabus and Structure of Ethics, integrity, and Aptitude for UPSC
- Importance and Introduction to GS Paper IV
- Best Books on Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
- Other Important Source of Ethics and Integrity
- Strategies for Mains GS-IV
- Important FAQs for Ethics and Integrity UPSC
- Editor’s Note | Ethics Book for UPSC
Syllabus and Structure of Ethics, integrity, and Aptitude for UPSC
As the UPSC is the toughest exam in India, so does its syllabus. It is so vast that students often get confused about what to read. However, before digging into books, let’s have look at the GS-IV syllabus. Well, GS-IV in Mains has 250 marks on Ethics, Integrity, & Aptitude.
- Human Interface and Ethics
- Dimensions and Essence of Ethics.
- Consequences of ethics in human relationships.
- Society, family, ethical values, morals, etc.
- Integrity and Objectivity.
- The aptitude of civil services including its foundational values.
- Tolerance, compassion, and as well as empathy towards society’s weaker part.
- Ethics in Public Administration
- Ethical issues of Govt. and private institutions.
- Laws and rules are the sources of ethical guidance.
- Ethical governance and also ways to strengthen the moral and ethical values in that area.
- Ethical issues in international relations.
Well, it is the syllabus for ethics, integrity, and aptitude. Now you have to look ethics books for UPSC next.
- Questions on this paper are quite complex. Though there are not many questions it’s quite difficult.
- There is no option. So, students have to answer all the questions.
- Then there come the marks. There are two types of marks- 10 marks and 20 marks.
- As I said previously, this paper contains 250 marks in total.
- However, keep in mind, these questions vary every year. Because it has a wide range. So, students have to make them familiar with its syllabus. They need to follow questions from previous years as well.
Therefore, this structure of Ethics and Integrity for UPSC you need to know.
Importance and Introduction to GS Paper IV
By now you’ve got the general idea about this paper. But the main perk of this paper is that it has the scope of scoring. Also, it prepares the aspirant for a personality test too. They need to be self-aware and have the ability to project themselves pragmatically. Aspirants have to keep common sense and ethical principles in mind. However, the questions of this paper will be related to integrity and aptitude. So students need to study the cases in depth. Otherwise, they will face problems while solving the problems. Because it will include various issues. Mostly, students find this paper difficult because it keeps changing every year. So study materials also turn outdated easily. That’s why choosing the best books for ethics UPSC is important.
Now, it’s time to check out the books that you need to read. The followings are the best books on ethics and integrity for UPSC. Although these are the best books you still need to read them thoroughly. Without further delay, let’s check them.
Also, go through: UPSC Prelims Syllabus 2020 – Excel in CSE (IAS Exam)
Best Books on Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude
- Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude: If you want a detailed account of ethics theories, then this is best. Tata McGraw Hill published this book. The authors are Santosh Ajmera & Nanda Kishore Reddy. This book also contains moral and ethical dilemmas of administrators in professional lives. So, it will help readers to understand more.
- The Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude: This is also one of the best books for ethics UPSC. The book is written by Niraj Kumar and published by Chronicle. Not to mention it is the best book to know the tips and strategies for solving case studies in GS-IV. However, it not only has tips but also has the definition and explanation related to ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude.
- For CSE Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude: The authors of this ethics book for UPSC are G Subba Rao and P N Roy Chowdhury. Additional info is they are retired IAS officers. Students will find many case studies in this very helpful book. That’s why this is the best book on ethics for beginners.
- Ethics in Governance (Innovations, Issues, & Instrumentalities): Ramesh K Arora is the author of this book. Well, among the best books for ethics and integrity UPSC, is different. Readers will have an analysis of the reasons behind public system corruption here. It also includes the importance of ethics and integrity UPSC in the system.
- Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude: This ethics and Integrity UPSC book was written by M Karthikeyan. This book has detailed content so it is easy to understand for the students.
Other Important Source of Ethics and Integrity
Previously mentioned books are the best 5 five for UPSC. But that’s not all. Some others are equally helpful for GS-IV. Therefore have a look at those important materials now. Although most of it is government sources.
- ARC Reports: Arc reports are one of the essential study materials for the Ethics paper. Students have to read all the reports but need to memorize recommendations only. The 2nd ARC reports are on ethical values in civil service. We have mentioned those values previously in the syllabus (Aptitude) part. So, you can understand that it needs attentive study too.
- Manual on Ethics for Civil servants: DoPT publishes this manual. Well, you can consider it one of the authentic sources of Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude UPSC. Because it can help students to understand the syllabus and questions more clearly.
Finally, these are almost all important sources for Ethics and Integrity UPSC. You have also got Ethics books for UPSC too. These best books on ethics will help in the full preparation of UPSC Mains GS-IV. Nonetheless, it requires a lot of concentrated studies.
Strategies for Mains GS-IV
- Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude paper will evaluate ethical competence. Hence, first, get yourself familiar with the syllabus and its keywords. Real-life incidents will be helpful in this case of preparation though. If you can’t come up with such incidents then use assumptions. However, you can use hypothetical scenarios in the exam, because every case study is such one.
- This paper is about how you represent your View. So, work on your answers so that they reflect your point of view clearly.
- You can also discuss the issues with others. It will help you to get various viewpoints. Only the ethics book for UPSC won’t give you that.
- With proper strategy, everything can be done. Let also GS-IV. So, try to answer in a practical and specific way.
- Also, give balanced answers in conflict with options and as a future officer. Prepare more than one answer from a different point for one question.
- Also, practice flowcharts and diagrams to make your answer more effective.
- As for the theoretical portion, answer the questions in a point-based way. Therefore, this way your answer will reflect your way of thinking. And also your answer will be brief.
Thereafter, these are some of important strategies beside the best books on ethics. You can follow them for a better result though.
Check out: UPSC NCERT Books 2020 – Complete List with Download Option
Important FAQs for Ethics and Integrity UPSC
· Lexicon for Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude.
· Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude by G Subba Rao and P N Roy Chowdhury.
· Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude by Niraj Kumar.
Well, there are various ways of preparation if you have the determination. Firstly, know the syllabus thoroughly. Then, choose the best ethics books for UPSC and start reading. Lastly, go through all the previous year’s questions and practice them very well. This way you can make your answers more precise.
Yes, especially the 2nd ARC report. So, don’t forget to read it. That report contains all moral and ethical values including the issues.
Of course it is. It is a scoring paper like essay paper. But you have to understand the topics carefully at first. Otherwise you will be tangled up in confusion.
Well, it is. Lexicon covers the syllabus in a detailed way. But alongside the books, you can look into the ARC reports and Manual on Ethics for Civil Servants too. NCERT Psychology books for Class XI and XII are also helpful for study.
Editor’s Note | Ethics Book for UPSC
So, this is all about Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude. By now, you have got all info about this paper. The best books for Ethics UPSC will help you to get through the syllabus. Meantime, the strategies will help you to get through the UPSC Mains. Finally, don’t forget to enhance your point of view. Because that is the main motive of the whole GS-IV. Keep preparing for it attentively.